Marsbars

Tretinker

Songster
May 23, 2022
England
Hi all,

We picked up our Marsbars today. We have 3 Marsbars and a cream legbar, she was the only female from the hatch!

I haven't had much luck find information on Marsbars, what they'll look like, sexing etc

They are a cross between a Maran and a cream legbar (which colours of this breed I don't know)

These chicks all have varying degrees of yellow on their heads and some blotches around as well as yellow chests.

The cream legbar is significantly bigger but all hatched on the same day.

One Marsbar is smaller than the other two and a bit sluggish but it was a long drive so we shall see how he goes.

They have names but I can't tell them apart.

They are Milky Way, Snickers, Mars and Twix (those not from UK) these are candy bar names. A Marsbar here is a candy bar.

I'm posting pictures for others that might be interested in this breed.

I'm fascinated to know what they'll look like as adults.

Attachments

• PXL_20220702_125135019.jpg
    PXL_20220702_125135019.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 73
  • PXL_20220702_183241606.jpg
    PXL_20220702_183241606.jpg
    514.7 KB · Views: 18
  • PXL_20220702_182408676.jpg
    PXL_20220702_182408676.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 17
  • PXL_20220702_125028596.jpg
    PXL_20220702_125028596.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 14
  • PXL_20220702_125403396.jpg
    PXL_20220702_125403396.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 15
  • PXL_20220702_183224398.jpg
    PXL_20220702_183224398.jpg
    578.2 KB · Views: 18
Never heard to that "hybrid" here in the USA.
The Marsbar coloring pulls the Maran side ... Do they have feathered legs/feet? The yellow on their heads are different so you can us that to tell them apart for now, as their wings start feathering out hopefully they'll be some difference to match up to the head dots. In time you'll learn their personalities an be able to tell them apart better. Enjoy .... Keep us updated with pictures as they grow.

Never heard to that "hybrid" here in the USA.
The Marsbar coloring pulls the Maran side ... Do they have feathered legs/feet? The yellow on their heads are different so you can us that to tell them apart for now, as their wings start feathering out hopefully they'll be some difference to match up to the head dots. In time you'll learn their personalities an be able to tell them apart better. Enjoy .... Keep us updated with pictures as they grow.

I think it's a UK thing, possibly even just English. I can't find too much information, only that they should produce green eggs.

They don't seem to have any feathers on their feet, some feet are pink and some grey.

The smallest one is giving me worries, she/he is nowhere near as active as the siblings but is eating and drinking. I'm wondering if she/he was a later hatch being so much smaller too. The others are our scratching around the brooder but this little one stays under the heat plate.

I love having chicks but it's like having babies again, I'm a wreck till I know they're not going to drop dead any second 🤣

@Dragon Slayer Trinket thought you'd like to see the little guys.

Did you get them from a source that sexes them? If the legbar parent was the hen and they used a non barred variety of marans for the roost3r then those would all be boys (that would be a sex linked cross) I can't imagine why anyone would reverse that cross and make sexing harder on themselves but I hope they didn't just unload a bunch of boys on you :confused:

Umm I don't actually know which way round but all the chicks looked the same with varying degrees of yellow. I only saw Maran hens and a cream legbar rooster but I know he has cream legbar hens.

He is a hobby breeder, he allowed me to choose and showed me his whole brooder with ducklings, quail and a variety of chicks but he did say he couldn't sex these Marsbars but could sex other chicks such as the legbar and another one I can't remember maybe. He was explaining to me that he had hatch 6 cream legbars that week and only got 1 girl which is the one I got and if any of the Marsbars turned out to be roos he was happy to exchange for another chick/pullet. He's legitimate but I don't know why he would breed in reverse either. Maybe he just doesn't have a Maran Roo.

I just remembered I requested the chicks before they even hatched and he said then he wouldn't be able to sex them and they would be sold unsexed but gave me a list of ones that were in his incubators and which ones he would be able to sex as chicks.

I'll message and check to be sure though, thanks!

Did you get them from a source that sexes them? If the legbar parent was the hen and they used a non barred variety of marans for the roost3r then those would all be boys (that would be a sex linked cross) I can't imagine why anyone would reverse that cross and make sexing harder on themselves but I hope they didn't just unload a bunch of boys on you :confused:

It was a legbar cockerel and Maran hen, thank goodness!

Guessing "technically" Legbar/blue eggs over Marans/chocolate eggs = Olive Green eggs? You need to update us ... It'll be a "long" wait but very interesting to see how the chicks turn out feathered & color of eggs.

You could ask the breeder what he suggests for vitamins/electrolytes for the little one. If it's eating/drinking/pooping that's half the battle. Check it's crop in the mornings & evenings, it should be full prior to bed & empty in the mornings. You could feed it some boiled egg yolk for extra protein & vitamins.

Back
Top Bottom