marsh daisy

lhowemt

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 6, 2008
Western Montana
So I'm going through books as I plan my first chickens this spring, and fell in love with a picture of a marsh daisy hen. It doesn't seem like this is a readily available breed? Does anybody know where to get them? I am not ready to hatch eggs, I'm looking for day olds. maybe in a couple of years I'll step up to eggs, but I want to start a bit simpler.

I don't believe the are in the US yet. They are in England and are considered Rare there. Maybe someone Might know more.

They are lovely! If you don't have any luck getting any of these lovely birds here in the states, might I recommend the Welsummer breed? They look very much like the Marsh Daisy (are considered to be rare also) and lay lovely BIG dark brown eggs. Just a suggestion.
smile.png

Yes, thanks! I am also looking at welsummer, and am glad they seem to be available. they are both quite beautiful!

I saw the picture of them in the book called "choosing and keeping chickens". The hens seem to have this beautiful green tone in with the browns. For now, it seems Welsummers will be the one for me.

I love my Welsummers and am looking forward to hatching some more of them this spring! I think you would be highly pleased with them.
smile.png

Quote:
I have Marsh Daisies and my boyfriend's old dad insists on calling them Welsummers. The combs are different and Welsummers are generally bigger but they are quite similar looking I suppose. And yes, Daisys are very rare, even in the UK. I bought ebay hatching eggs twice and got two cockerels from 24 eggs. Bah! It took me ages to track down actual birds for sale and I could only find one 3 year old hen and one 10 week old chick, 300 miles away from me...

Back
Top Bottom