marsh daisy

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by lhowemt, Dec 19, 2008.

1. lhowemt

lhowemt Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Montana
    So I'm going through books as I plan my first chickens this spring, and fell in love with a picture of a marsh daisy hen. It doesn't seem like this is a readily available breed? Does anybody know where to get them? I am not ready to hatch eggs, I'm looking for day olds. maybe in a couple of years I'll step up to eggs, but I want to start a bit simpler.

2. Rooster-Spur

Rooster-Spur Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2008
    I don't believe the are in the US yet. They are in England and are considered Rare there. Maybe someone Might know more.

3. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  4. Old Rando

Old Rando Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    Southern Indiana
  5. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    They are lovely! If you don't have any luck getting any of these lovely birds here in the states, might I recommend the Welsummer breed? They look very much like the Marsh Daisy (are considered to be rare also) and lay lovely BIG dark brown eggs. Just a suggestion. [​IMG]

6. lhowemt

lhowemt Out Of The Brooder

Dec 6, 2008
    Western Montana
    Yes, thanks! I am also looking at welsummer, and am glad they seem to be available. they are both quite beautiful!

I saw the picture of them in the book called "choosing and keeping chickens". The hens seem to have this beautiful green tone in with the browns. For now, it seems Welsummers will be the one for me.

7. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I love my Welsummers and am looking forward to hatching some more of them this spring! I think you would be highly pleased with them. [​IMG]

8. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Quote:I have Marsh Daisies and my boyfriend's old dad insists on calling them Welsummers. The combs are different and Welsummers are generally bigger but they are quite similar looking I suppose. And yes, Daisys are very rare, even in the UK. I bought ebay hatching eggs twice and got two cockerels from 24 eggs. Bah! It took me ages to track down actual birds for sale and I could only find one 3 year old hen and one 10 week old chick, 300 miles away from me...

9. bantambob

bantambob New Egg

Oct 3, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by