Maryland Poultry Swap & Farmer's Market October 1st 9-3 SHARPSBURG

Brian, it is also the buyers right to ask to see proof. Just ask the vendor to see their NPIP certification. I know everyone in my row is a NPIP participant. Peachick, Msbear, kripteniteqhs, daytonfarm, Tuffoldhen, silkieluver_07, myself Majestic Lane Poultry, Soaring Chicks, and Crunchie are all certified. Plus others I swap and show with like: Brodys Broodello, nursecat9, cochinman2005, etc. Ask vendors their BYC name also. The more you know, the better. I was so busy, i never got to walk around and see others. Hope to see you on the 1st.

Last edited:
I had very few ask me for the npip. Most of the time I made them take my card with my info on it so they had everything they would need from me should something happen.
I don't know if anyone else did besides majestic and that is because we were right beside each other.
I did see a few wv that are not npip selling But to beable to get into Maryland to sell at a swap you have to have all the npip testing done with in 10 days of the swap. They also always get tested at out wv swaps and I know most of the time they but from npip people.
As to any of the other Maryland ,pa,va people all out of staters have to have the same testing.
Maryland instate I have no clue how they do it.
Best to ask your tester.
I can say I did have the Maryland ag people come buy my tent and ask for my paper work and checked over my birds and chicks.
They even asked if I was going to be selling in Maryland again this year.
So I know they at least hit my row.
It is a risk just to go to a swap npip or not just walking among other birds or even driving to a friends farm you can bring back something.
That is way all show , swap, new chicks anything brought to your farm should be kept away from all others and check them last and clorox your shoes BEFORE you got out the next day to do the flock chores.
Noone likes getting a sick bird or having any issues.
Really as to the people setting it up they can only do so much as people do lie and cheat. So the buyer needs to really talk to the seller make sure you get the info. If something happens call your npip tester report it ASAP!
Turn your info you have on the breeder to them and let them take care of the seller.
I don't understand why they did not do that.
As to my point of view on cocci. read the June thread post you will see what I had to say.
That is one of the things you never think it will happen to you and bam it does you just have to read up on it and treat for it when needed.
I understand your concern 100% who would not!?
I am always worried about that and one reason I will stay to the bitter end to sell every last bird I have for sale. I have been known to give away a few birds so I don't bring then home.
I also put my new birds on the other side of the yard or in the horse barn for 3+ wks before they get near the new birds
All I can say is everyone feels like you do and we do hope to see you there. Also make sure to keep your eyes and ears open , talk to people and report when needed that is the only way we can stop people with really sick birds and their kind out of the swaps.
Thanks for letting us know about that wish it was brougt to light then.
Best of luck to your friend and your self!

I was at the June swap and I bought a few birds there and happy to report all are doing just fine
smile.png
.I bought from April,Crunchie and the lady with Crunchie. I asked for and recieved NPIP numbers.I also LOOKed at all their birds BEFORE I picked mine out.I did not let them around my flock for a month. I also knew that these ladies were well known and and all three had good reputations.I expected healthy birds and I got healthy birds
smile.png
.. Now this is not to say that others didn't have healthy birds also,but what I am saying is at any swap don't just see a bird and buy on impulse. Look at the bird ,examine the bird,and ask questions before you buy.If you see anything that doesn't look right WALK AWAY and do NOT touch any bird from a pen that has a sick looking bird in it.
There was state people there .I know as I spoke to them for at least a half an hour. They did inform me that not everybody there was NPIP .NPIP is a good thing but it doesn't tell you that the birds you buy may be carriers of MG or other illnesses.A bird can carry an illness without being sick it's self.So even if you keep this bird by it's self for a month before putting it with your flock ,your birds will still get sick after adding the new one.
I am planning on attending this upcoming swap and it's a good bet I will buy something there as I am looking for a male call duck.You just have to be careful no matter where you buy your birds and it's always best to buy from a known breeder.Any place can have a sick bird and all places will at some point and time ,but in order to get new stock and different lines we have to buy them from somewhere and with everyone we buy from where ever we buy it there is a risk invovled.Just pay attention to the birds and talk to the seller .Do research also as alot of them have websites with feedback from buyers.
I am looking forward to this swap
smile.png

all very useful info. I am NPIP and, I think, a breeder who is NPIP has taken the time and effort to do so and is concerned about the health of their birds for selling purposes. This should give you a better chance at getting some healthy birds but... not always. Just remember, being NPIP doesn't mean disease free. Pullorum has pretty much been eradicated from the US and you seldom hear about cases of AI. This leaves a whole mess of other boogers to be concerned with that are not being tested for.. not for shows.. not for selling and not for NPIP. Your birds you have right now could very well be carriers and, as long as they are healthy, happy and show no outward symptoms, you'd never even know
hmm.png

QT time is the best advice. Many of us show and want to enjoy our birds by taking part in it... It is a risk every time.

Does anyone know of someone who raises geese for meat? I have someone who's looking
frow.gif

Quote:
Well said.The only thing you can do otherwise is lock your chickens in a bubble
smile.png
and then all joy is out of raising them.
I sure hope there is going to be at least one Call Duck breeder there !! I need ,I need
smile.png

Quote:
I am from Maryland and for the last two years have tried to become NPIP certified. My birds are tested exactly the same way that NPIP certified birds are tested. The MD Dept of Ag for some reason takes forever to give you the NPIP number. I am becoming a certified tester hopefully that will give me an edge to get that npip number! I do keep all the test results and required paper work with my birds at all times.

I find the whole testing regiment a bit misleading to the bird raiser. The tests are really there to protect the poultry industry, not the backyard breeder. Most of the poultry industry around here the birds only live to about 8 weeks so other illnesses really don't have a chance to show up. Your flock can contract something from your local wild bird population, your own dirt, or the breeze that blows through your backyard.

When you bring home birds from other locations you are just increasing the chance that, though they may be healthy looking, they may be carriers of something your birds are not exposed to and your birds will get sick. The best way to decrease those chances are to quarantine. If you are not prepared to quarantine then you should not buy.

I don't believe that anyone at the swap intentionally sold sick birds. If the bird was tested and looks healthy and acts healthy what more can the seller do to know what "could" be brewing inside the bird. It is very unfortunate to have this happen but it does.Unless you have a closed flock, even that is really impossible if they touch the same ground as wild birds, there will be risks. You really must determine your goal of having a flock.

The enjoyment of meeting with other poultry people and exchanging birds for whatever reason to me out weighs the risks.

Carolyn

Well, this was some really interesting info. Thanks for all the input. I'm aware of all the various chicken diseases out there, all the risks, and don't know for sure why the NPIP program is so great. They are testing for diseases that aren't even a problem in the US. Just another great government plan to get your info. But, you do have to be NPIP to get into most chicken events, so there you have it. I for one will not attend an event that says it's NPIP but doesn't check in vendors and get their info. If the required state reps were there, and they collected paperwork from every vendor and checked every bird like you said, why were the non NPIP participants allowed to stay and sell without being tested, especially the ones from out of state? I still didn't get all my questions answered, so will just call up the state vet on Monday with my questions. Thanks again.

Brian

Back
Top Bottom