Maryland Poultry Swap & Farmer's Market October 1st 9-3 SHARPSBURG

Sold out except for a few young ones that I put in the car because it was too cold. I thought it was a great turnout considering the horrible weather. I left around 11ish. 3 hours later and my feet are still freezing. Thank you Erin & Rusty for another event well done. Dave loved the country ham sandwiches. I didn't go around and talk to people :-( I was either too busy or too cold. Loved the BYC tent. I set up right next to it, but was too busy to go over and chat. I bet it would have been fabulous had it not been for the weather.

Great event! Made a connection for some Doms and DS10 fell in love with a GLW that we really hope is a girl (too young to tell, but it looks like a pullet to me), and when DS14 and went back to see if we could get that chick a friend, we ended up with four white Cochin pullets. Three have tail feathers missing but we got some blu-kote for their rumps, cleaned them up and put some nutri drench in their water and they are contentedly scratching around in their temporary isolation pen in our basement. The GLW is in a pack n play in the front hall, with chick saver in its water and chick starter feed. It is hollering and peeping up a storm. Thanks to Erin and all for a good time, it was worth the drive.

It was a little too wet an cold for DD who was having breathing problems today so we were unable to go... Really disappointed in this stupid fall weather
sad.png

what a cruddy day.. I was so bummed but, looked outside this morning at 6:30 and ALREADY there were campers and tents and trailers
big_smile.png
Chicken folks are hard core and without all of you... it would've been a bust. The vendors rolled in through the drizzle, waited on the Shepherdstown bridge for the Freedom Run and found their way to our wet field. I spent my day running for shelter under everyone's canopies and LOVED that I got to enjoy my day rubbing elbows with everyone. I may have been bummed because I felt so bad for the vendors and wanted them to have an awesome day selling chickens but, what I saw was HUGE smiles from everyone... and emptying cages!! I could not believe how many buyers and sellers made the trek despite the weather.

I am already looking forward to our later Spring swap and seeing everyone again.

NGTANGL
bow.gif
what a hit the BYC lounge was. Folks who didn't have a canopy would stop in for some rest from the cold rain and met new friends. Bobbie
hugs.gif
to you too. both of these girls spent a lot of time baking the night before and there were goodies, mints, flowers, waters and all of our beautiful name tags for everyone to share.
woot.gif
that will be a definite for next year. THanks, girls!
clap.gif

big hugs to Erin for another fantastic swap.... girl, you do so much for us, and I hope you know how much we appreciate you.
There was a great great turnout despite the rain and the cold. I sold a few birds and my little goats got a lot of attention.... was a fun day!
(Erin, hubby says hi
tongue.png
)

Last edited:
What a great day, despite the weather! I sold out in less than an hour. I did bring one of my own chickens home because the 3hr trip didn't do her any good. I didn't feel right trying to sell her with what I am sure is a combo of cocci and shipping stress.

I got my two Wheaten Ameraucana hens from Kat, one Mille Fleur bantam Cochin cockerel to help my project (thank's Erin!) and my new buff columbian bantam Cochin pair from Erin, too! I am starting to question my chicken math skills. I came with 24 and left with 6... I didn't sell any horse tack, bur did trade a saddle... -insert huge grin here-

Thanks to Maggie, I have about 6 months of her soap. We also bought a $25 chainsaw that I got to play with tonight.

I was more than happy to bake for everyone. Shame I had to leave early (we were soaked and froze) because I brought home almost all of those cookies and no one touched the brownies until right before we left.

I have a goal to have my NPIP next year and a large selection of bantam Cochins, EEs and W/BW Ameraucanas to sell at the next one! Maybe another surprise I am working on, too, since hubby now sees things my way (as if he had a choice)!

Thank you Erin, Rusty and everyone else for helping, selling and buying!

Last edited:
What a great time!! The Shepherdstown Run totally slowed me down but I was so glad I came! That was 3 hours of driving time well spent. And I met so many great people! I resolve to return next year, with more folks. And Erin, I will email you that letter & my donor list & whatever else I've got in my bag of tricks ASAP. Maybe I will come by next year & wear the chicken costume - if it's cold again, I can hand out mulled cider or chili instead of candy!
gig.gif

Krista

Maggie says "You're welcome"...though it sounded more like "meeeeeeeeh". It's OK, I speak goat
smile.png

The weather was awful, that's for sure. Thanks to everyone who came out despite the rain. I do still have a lot of soap left so if anyone missed me, just send me a PM. Christmas is right around the corner!

Thanks again for having the swap, Erin, and thanks to everyone who supports Maggie Mag's!

Thanks Erin, for your hospitality and for putting on yet another great swap!!
woot.gif
Yeah, the rain made for miserable wet people (and birds), but we still had a blast. And, let me tell you, my son thought camping in your field was super awesome. Apparently your farm is a more exciting destination than the KOAs we usually camp at.
lol.png
You would think we don't also live on a farm. Kids are so funny. It wasn't as crazy of a pace as last swap, but it was still plenty busy and like last time I didn't really make it around to check out the other vendors. I am a bit bummed I didn't get to check out the goat cheese booth, but my husband did at least get me one of those awesome donuts.
tongue.png

I enjoyed chatting to everyone who stopped by. Tammy, sorry I missed you. Hope you're warm and cozy & feeling better. See you in Indianapolis!!
big_smile.png
Tonya, I hope you enjoy the little duck. I know we did, and I think he's going to be very happy with you.

I think it was pretty awesome considering how icky the weather was! I sold most of the chickens I came with.

Back
Top Bottom