Mass in abdomen

Lin71

Chirping
May 25, 2022
Hi,
Wondering if anyone has had any experience with chicken with mass in abdomen? She came to me at around 6 months old. She is now around 16 months. She is bright, funny and most spirited girl I have. She very rarely laid in the coop which I put down to her having a secret nest somewhere as she is free range. On the occasions she did lay in coop her eggs would often be a bit of a strange shape. But good strong shell. She is underweight compared to the other girls but has an always had a good appetite and is full of beans.Nothing obviously wrong no worms etc. Last week she laid a couple of almost shell less eggs (sort of softer than jelly/rubber eggs) But again seemed fine in herself.
Yesterday I noticed she was quieter than usual, tail down, sitting a lot and not interested in treats.I was worried she might be egg bound or had soft egg inside her so took her to the vets today.
Vet said not egg bound but he found a mass inside her.He said best case scenario is inflammation/scar tissue which in itself isn't good but more likely a growth.
He has given her antibiotics and loxicom for 5 days but said he doesn't think it will work and that I should just euthanise her.

Anyone had anything similar with one of their girls?

Last edited:
No, I've never heard of it but a post that comes up as similar thread has some ideas on what that could be. BTW, did she have calcium/oyster shell for the egg issues, and she still laid them that way?

Do you have photos of her and the eggs she lays?

Did the vet Xray her? If so, do you have a copy of the image? Feels a mass inside her?

I'd start giving her Calcium for a week. Calcium Citrate with D3, aim for 600mg daily.

Hard to know what's happening with her, but sometimes hens do start having reproductive problems, some common ones are EYP, tumors, Cancer, Salpingitis, Internal Laying.
But if she's been laying fairly consistently and just now struggling with soft shelled eggs, I'd boost that Calcium to see if she's just having trouble expelling an egg or material.

Back
Top Bottom