Massive corn shortage expected in 2022. Tips for long term storage of feed?

That report is BS. We may have fewer acres planted to corn but in many areas of the corn belt corn is still profitable even with the higher input costs.

The other point that this report fails to consider is that a lot of inputs were bought before the prices ran up to their current high levels.

In my analysis we will not plant more soybean acres than corn. In fact on our farm in Indiana we are planting the most corn we've planted in the past few years.

We won't run out of corn, we might have a tight supply but we won't run out.

That report is BS. We may have fewer acres planted to corn but in many areas of the corn belt corn is still profitable even with the higher input costs.

The "report" is from ZeroHedge, hardly known for moderate, temperate, balanced reporting - and its a reprint from "TheMostImportantNews [dot] Com" by a guy pushing a book "7 Year Apocolypse"... Hells, even I am not that pretentious, and my ego is so great I need double doors on a building to bring it in with me...

Almost regret responding now, except that what I'm doing this Spring is exactly what I would have been doing, regardless - and more of what I was planning on doing (and have been doing) since buying the property a few years back.

The "report" is from ZeroHedge, hardly known for moderate, temperate, balanced reporting - and its a reprint from "TheMostImportantNews [dot] Com" by a guy pushing a book "7 Year Apocolypse"... Hells, even I am not that pretentious, and my ego is so great I need double doors on a building to bring it in with me...

Almost regret responding now, except that what I'm doing this Spring is exactly what I would have been doing, regardless - and more of what I was planning on doing (and have been doing) since buying the property a few years back.
Notice how this OP is brand new with zero posting history?

This wasn't a random let me join a forum to ask a serious question post.🙄

It’s being reported that due to fertilizer shortages and massive increases in cost, there will be huge crop shortages and shortages of many staples especially corn this year. Combined with the continuing supply chain breakdown and worker shortages this could get very bad.m in my opinion. Maybe it is overblown, but it got me thinking, what should we be doing to protect our flock and hedge against possible shortages?

How long can we store feed?

Can feed/corn be frozen or vacuum packed for a longer shelf life?

Alternatives to traditional feed?

Curious what y’all think about the possible shortage situation, overblown or potentially a huge problem?

https://www.zerohedge.com/economics...rtages-are-going-be-far-worse-were-being-told

https://www.agriculture.com/markets/factors-expected-to-drive-the-2022-corn-market
Russians getting busy again with disinformation.

Russians getting busy again with disinformation.
Plenty of home grown doomsayers, too. Every once in a while, the guy at the street corner with "the end is near" sign is right - though rarely at the appointed time, or in the way predicted.

If it is Russian work, I applaud the effort - its topical for the forum posted, and contains no more spelling and gramatical errors than one of my own postings. That's a real improvement intheir game over what I saw 8 or 9 years ago. Nice to see them taking some pride in their "product".

:lau

Regardless of the legitimacy of the source or information... there have been enough supply glitches over the last couple of years and likely enough more coming that I will carry more feed inventory than I otherwise would. Probably, it will be about a bag more than I otherwise would - maybe two during the winter when it is easy to keep it cold. A bag is about three weeks worth for me.

At the least, not waiting until I am out or nearly out to get more.

Probably not a doomsday type scenario but prices are up and likely will continue to go up...I'm hopeful that maybe some of this pressure will push "big ag" back towards something a bit more sustainable.

Corn, for example, requires a lot of nitrogen fertilizer to grow. You CAN create that unsustainably, which we do currently.

Alternately...pick up a chicken. Now find the end where corn goes in. Watch out for the pointy bit! Now flip the chicken over, and you'll find the end where high nitrogen fertilizer comes out! :cool: ;)

Yet, in most of our current processes, unsustainable synthetic fertilizer goes in, and the waste that comes out is under (or not at all) utilized, creating a huge waste stream.

The handling of organics is messy, and the labor market is brutal right now, but if we can find a way to close the loops better, we'll avoid some of the issues that non-loop systems tend to present.

Probably not a doomsday type scenario but prices are up and likely will continue to go up...I'm hopeful that maybe some of this pressure will push "big ag" back towards something a bit more sustainable.

Corn, for example, requires a lot of nitrogen fertilizer to grow. You CAN create that unsustainably, which we do currently.

Alternately...pick up a chicken. Now find the end where corn goes in. Watch out for the pointy bit! Now flip the chicken over, and you'll find the end where high nitrogen fertilizer comes out! :cool: ;)

Yet, in most of our current processes, unsustainable synthetic fertilizer goes in, and the waste that comes out is under (or not at all) utilized, creating a huge waste stream.

The handling of organics is messy, and the labor market is brutal right now, but if we can find a way to close the loops better, we'll avoid some of the issues that non-loop systems tend to present.
a lot of the current (US) research is in reducing Nitrogen inputs, to reduce nitrogen outputs in our chickens, by reducing the protein fed to them. Not only is it cheaper for them to feed up front, but its cheaper for them to dispose of the waste out back - and yes, commercial poultry ops do sell the outputs.

Back
Top Bottom