Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
@RosemaryDuck , therapy work truly is a special service that people Volunteer to do with their animals. And i would love to present a therapy chicken, since most people have no clue how friendly and personable some chickens can be. While i dont have spare time during the spring and summer months, i likely Can find spare time to devote to therapy animal work during the fall and winter months. Just for grins, i am gonna reseach the texas certification process for therapy animals Right Now. Matilda truly would make a great chicken ambassador; i have become certain of that.

Photos. 1) stump with tissue appearing to extend only from top of leg, not the center where bone would be. 2) Definitely more willing to hold herself upright since right foot fell off. 3) Fell asleep in my lap. She just seems to collapse and melt. I dont know how long she would remain there, but this past weekend she was relaxed and content for an hour and a half. She was still relaxed when i finally needed to get up and put her back in her bed.
Oh sweet Matilda. I've really enjoyed reading her story, truly. You have a great way with words. I relate so much to her story. I mentioned earlier I bonded with a chicken over her Bumblefoot. Had I never tried to treat it, I never would have gotten to know her as more than a farm chicken. She has undergone so a lot of poking, prodding, and syringe squirts into her mouth, and she still stands persistently under my feet until I pick her up. Any time the kitchen door is open, you can bet Burrito finds her way into the house. She will regularly nap on the floor while I am cooking. It is clear as day that there are special chickens in this world. As you said, intensive care with most of them is difficult if not impossible, and I know this to be true.

She loves head scratches:

IMG_5438.jpg

I have several photos and videos of her napping on my kitchen floor as well.

Enjoy your time with Matilda. I am definitely looking forward to future updates for her recovery and new life ahead of her.

So I've been reading the discussion about wrapping vs not wrapping and wanted to add another suggestion. You may want to look into Underwood Horse Medicine. My daughter's vet recommended it for her horse's leg. You spray it on, sprinkle on baking powder and it forms a scab that does not need to be wrapped. I know there are a few treads on BYC that talk about using it on chickens. https://www.underwoodhorsemedicine.com/ Warning, the pictures are pretty graphic.
I am so sorry this happened, but you have done such a wonderful job with Matilda! Hopefully she heals up quickly! Thank you for posting this thread - I have learned so much while reading it.

Hi @RubelliteRose , i did a bit of research on the product u mentioned. First of all, it gets Great reviews & lots of them on many different sites. So thank you very much for the info. My remaining question is, is the product recommended for use on exposed bone? It looks Great for skin and deep tissue damage in all species, and seems like a great product to keep in the medicine cabinet. The only reference i found to bone was a reviewer mentioning they used it on their horse that had a laceration that went to the bone. (Admittedly i havent had time to skim through all of the reviews.) Also, im not sure if a scab is the best way for Matilda's wound to heal? Admittedly ive had little time to research this product to her specific injury & will do some more reading. Even if it turns out not to be ideal for a foot amputee, i can think of many instances where it Would be very useful and beneficial.

If you have an Instagram, reach out to lipstick_and_chickens. She adopted a rooster with feet in the same stage as your hens and he lost his feet. Be prepared, she will feel when the feet break off, and it will be incredibly awful. There is no sugar coating it. She went into graphic detail of his journey. The rooster's name is Barth, and it's been at least two years since he lost his feet and he lives a fairly good life, and learned how to walk on his nubs. There was a turkey on BYC who also lost its feet and developed bumblefoot on the nubs, so you would have to monitor her mobility very carefully. Based on what I've seen of other frostbite cases, I think she will lose at least some of her feet :( I am so sorry. Just remember she can keep living the good life. I agree with @Eggcessive to make a chicken sling so she can have a chance to be off the ground for a few hours a day and in a more natural position without putting weight on her feet. Keep us up to date on her journey. My heart is with you both, although those are just words, I know.
Just found her Instagram too and I'm in love! He looks so happy and gets around so great.

I do have some updates on Matilda's right foot. With A VERY interesting photo taken just this morn. (Im not able to make posts or even add "reactions" unless im in "civilization" with an adequate cell phone signal; sorry for the delayed response). Matilda is still doing very well, & is clearly enjoying the extra attention. Her attitude is great! Recent photos with dates to follow next.

Back
Top Bottom