Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
I think Matilda is healing well. Has she tried to walk yet?

I would keep the stumps wrapped and with some good padding to reduce the pain of trying to use them. Matilda may need some PT and encouragement.

Someone posted a video of someone giving PT to a chicken learning to walk again after a severe injury. It should be easy to find since it's a video. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/

I've just read your entire thread and wanted to say that I think you are amazing, and Matilda is one very lucky chicken!

I would add something though to the excellent advice you have had here. I note you mentioned other hens run screaming if you have to treat them but Matilda is calm and compliant. The running is fear not pain. Calm and compliant usually indicates pain as it subdued them rather than happy to be treated. As prey animals the freeze response is a coping and survival mechanism.

I suspect part of her compliance now is habit rather than pain. She has become accustomed to the handling and treatment and knows it is brief and she trusts you. Falling asleep in your lap is wonderful and I'm sure it gave you both some comfort and lovely bonding.

I recall you were treating her with aspirin for the pain. I hope you keep that up daily, as even though the worst is over, she will be in more pain as she tries to walk and one stub is still an open wound.

You are doing so brilliantly well with her. And creating this thread is informative and helpful for others, so thank you. I've learned a lot from this, and although frostbite is unlikely here in the UK, I feel prepared to prevent and treat if necessary.

Wishing Matilda well.

I think Matilda is healing well. Has she tried to walk yet?

I would keep the stumps wrapped and with some good padding to reduce the pain of trying to use them. Matilda may need some PT and encouragement.

Someone posted a video of someone giving PT to a chicken learning to walk again after a severe injury. It should be easy to find since it's a video. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...update-now-another-pullet-going-lame.1432738/
I havent put her on the ground to hobble around since her right foot came off 11 days ago. @BGcoop cautioned that walking on it too much could impede healing, so she has been living in her laundry basket, other than when i medicate foot and give her some r&r in my lap. ( I would have taken her outside to at least sit in the dirt, but alas it continues to rain & flood.) I did notice that after the right foot came off, by the next day she was standing upright more than she had during the previous three months since the frostbite happened. She now stands upright approx. 10% of the time, as opposed to at most 1% of the time before right foot detached.

I think the dead foot was actually hindering her balance and mobility. I had noticed when she hobbled around, she would soon rock back to rest on her hocks. Matilda has also seems more restless since right top of foot detached last week. I had the conscious thought while observing her restlessness a few days ago, "Matilda, are you ready to get back to being a chicken?!" (Meaning being outside and doing all the things a chicken does daily while living their busy lives.) She will likely remain a house chicken for the rest of her life, but frequent outings outside to lie in the dirt, soak up some sun, & be with her friends are definitely part of her future plans!

Ok i will continue to keep foot wrapped for a while longer, at least until the softer "tissue" just above the healthy foot pad hardens & appears more protective against infection. Will then reassess. I will also soon be searching for the padding @Eggcessive mentioned last week. Havent taken time to hunt for it yet since Matilda hasnt been allowed to hobble around yet anyway.

I do remember that rehab video you mentioned. I remember thinking when i saw that video, "that looks really hard on the (human's) back! Matilda's leg muscle strength has surely weakened considerably after months of very little use, but hopefully she wont need rehab to that extent, since at least she wasnt completely paralyzed. Still, i will keep that video in mind. If i think she needs rehab assistance, i will make a sling out of a full sheet, then help her walk while i can remain upright while guiding her.

Btw, If others here on Matildas thread havent seen the thread that azygous linked here, it contains a tremendous wealth of information on Many topics, ranging from paralysis care and rehab to reproductive issues, and much more. Because until near the very end, azygous didnt know the identity of the "monster" she and her pullet May were fighting. The ending is sad, but that doesnt detract from her heroic efforts. Dealing with Matilda's situation has truly been a piece of cake compared to the battle azygous fought to save May. 🙂

I've just read your entire thread and wanted to say that I think you are amazing, and Matilda is one very lucky chicken!

I would add something though to the excellent advice you have had here. I note you mentioned other hens run screaming if you have to treat them but Matilda is calm and compliant. The running is fear not pain. Calm and compliant usually indicates pain as it subdued them rather than happy to be treated. As prey animals the freeze response is a coping and survival mechanism.

I suspect part of her compliance now is habit rather than pain. She has become accustomed to the handling and treatment and knows it is brief and she trusts you. Falling asleep in your lap is wonderful and I'm sure it gave you both some comfort and lovely bonding.

I recall you were treating her with aspirin for the pain. I hope you keep that up daily, as even though the worst is over, she will be in more pain as she tries to walk and one stub is still an open wound.

You are doing so brilliantly well with her. And creating this thread is informative and helpful for others, so thank you. I've learned a lot from this, and although frostbite is unlikely here in the UK, I feel prepared to prevent and treat if necessary.

Wishing Matilda well.
Yes i do understand those flighty hen's reactions are due to fear. Yes, they see me as a threat. I was only saying it would be impossible to treat them extensively. They might even die of a heart attack from fear of me, "the big scary predator."👻 There is no doubt Matilda was in a lot of pain during the early frostbite stages, until the tissue became necrotic and died. When i first brought her inside, i do feel she was immobilized due to pain. And also grateful to be rescued from her predictament & inside where the temperature was at least a Little warmer. (My indoor temp hit a low of 36F at one point, due to rolling power outages. But 36 was still better than single digits and below outside.)

I never expected to see frostbite here either! And despite the extended record all-time low temperatures, no other chickens got frostbite at all, except for a few roosters losing their comb tips. Matilda's comb didnt get even a touch of frostbite. The extreme damage surely ocurred due to being suspended upside down, causing warm blood to not be able to reach her feet. It was a perfect storm for poor Matilda. But she she has a spunky strong spirit that belies her stoic exterior, and is going to be ok!

It will take about six weeks from the point of amputation to fully heal, but it should not prevent Matilda from test-driving her peg legs. When a chicken is facing a stressful situation, it's best to make the world small for them, less to deal with.

So, a small enclosure, say four to six square feet out in the run during the day so she can "be a chicken" with her flock would help her transition. She will progress according to her "antsiness" and pain level.

I would make the flooring well cushioned but firm so she can practice her balance while still protecting her stumps. A closed foam camp mattress might work as flooring.

Is she getting grit?

Photo below was taken just now (friday night june 4).

View attachment 2704199

These photos were taken 5 days ago. (this past Sunday)

View attachment 2704205
View attachment 2704207

When the top of foot detached 1 week and 3 days ago, the open wound looked as if it were "hollowed out", with what appeared to be some bones and tissue sticking out from inside of foot. That once hollow interior is now covered, but there is still a distinct edge/area separating the healthy foot pad from the top part that detached.

From the outer side view, the foot still looks similiar to the way it did just before top of foot detached. Except that instead of a dead rigid foot, there is a layer with what still looks like a demarcation line between that and healthy tissue.
View attachment 2704279

Does the foot look like it's healing ok? Anything i should be doing different?

I havent soaked her right foot in epsom salts (or hibiclens) like i did after her left foot detached. Should i be doing that now? Should i continue to keep wound wrapped for a while longer? (Im thinking yes, due to the area between bottom healthy tissue and top layer is semi-soft and not fully closed, but want to confirm).

Wound definitely looks waaay better than it did 1 week and 3 days ago, & there is no odor.
Sorry, I took the weekend off!

The wound is healing very well. I wouldn't soak it just yet -- it could risk the "scab" softening too early and coming off before it's ready. I would keep the foot wrapped for a few more days, or until the black necrotic flesh around the edge comes off (whichever happens first.) Overall it's healing very well!

How has she been getting along? I would try to keep her off her feet for now as much as possible, since walking on the stump can prevent healing due to pressure (and possibly create an ulcer.)

It will take about six weeks from the point of amputation to fully heal, but it should not prevent Matilda from test-driving her peg legs. When a chicken is facing a stressful situation, it's best to make the world small for them, less to deal with.

So, a small enclosure, say four to six square feet out in the run during the day so she can "be a chicken" with her flock would help her transition. She will progress according to her "antsiness" and pain level.

I would make the flooring well cushioned but firm so she can practice her balance while still protecting her stumps. A closed foam camp mattress might work as flooring.

Is she getting grit?
The left stump did in fact heal in about 6-7 weeks. Left stump looks fully healed now except for the smaller fleshly "protusion" which im gonna post a photo & ask a question about later.

"Making her world small" to make her life less stressful while her feet underwent the auto-amputation process helps explain why Matilda was perfectly content to live in her laundry basket for a full 3 months. She never once tried to escape by flying out. But since her right foot detached, she's grown increasingly restless and antsy. Shes been "talking" a lot too. I expect any day now she's gonna fly her "coop". The ground outside is Finally beginning to dry out, but still very moist. No rain for past 3 days after raining almost daily for 6 weeks straight. And no rain in the forecast. Some tree leaves turned yellow and began to drop, its been so wet. I intend to take her outside with her flock this weekend.

The thing is, her "flock" consists of approx. 175 hens. And their "run" is the great outdoors after i open the door to let them out each morn.
My plan is to take her outside and sit with her under a tree. Will be monitoring closely for several morns until i get a good feel for how she will fit in/interact with the masses.

"Is she getting grit?" The issue of her needing grit never crossed my mind!! Shes maybe been ok without grit since shes been eating moistened crumble/fermented mash for the past 3+ months. I offered her that in the beginning since her appetite was so poor. Have continued since she likes it. But still, the fact i never thought of it makes me wonder what else i didnt think of. After seeing your question i went out and found her several small pebble stones. Which she promptly ate. I dont know if she really needed them or was simply continuing to be helpful, since she willingly ate the aspirin and cephalexin capsules i previously offered her too.

Below are members of Matilda's flock of approx. 175 hens, flying to freedom this morn over the muddy quagmire at the exit. They look like bats flying out of a cave. Its quite a sight to see, & takes a couple minutes to complete. The dogs and me learned long ago to stand back until the exodus is complete, otherwise risk getting whacked by a flying chicken. I havent taken Matilda outside since i didnt want to risk infection. Shes 2 weeks past ready to get back out with her flock!

Attachments

• 20210610_091740.jpg
    20210610_091740.jpg
    700.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 20210610_091720.jpg
    20210610_091720.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20210610_091725.jpg
    20210610_091725.jpg
    622 KB · Views: 32
Sorry, I took the weekend off!

The wound is healing very well. I wouldn't soak it just yet -- it could risk the "scab" softening too early and coming off before it's ready. I would keep the foot wrapped for a few more days, or until the black necrotic flesh around the edge comes off (whichever happens first.) Overall it's healing very well!

How has she been getting along? I would try to keep her off her feet for now as much as possible, since walking on the stump can prevent healing due to pressure (and possibly create an ulcer.)
No worrries as far as your "taking the weekend off"; i cannot get internet reception to reply on byc unless i drive 15 miles into town to have a cell phone signal! And sometimes I dont do so for several days. I greatly appreciate your input whenever you give it.

I have not soaked her right foot since no one advised that i should. I've heeded the advice given here on byc throughout the process since this whole ordeal has been a (mostly clueless) first for me. Ive also kept her right foot wrapped thus far, since the wound seemed not fully closed and thus susceptible to infection. This is opposite what i did when the left foot detached. Then i was advised to soak the left stump in and leave it Uncovered. But the right foot wound remnant was much larger, & the differing advice did intuitively make sense. My only goal was that both stumps heal well and without infection, and so far both have done that.

As i said in my post above, Matilda is getting Bored! She was so quiet and patient for 3 full months, until a couple days after the right foot detached. Since then she has daily become increasingly more restless and Vocal! I hope that letting her outside for an hour or two each morn for some fresh air and sunshine will satisfy her. I will take care she doesn't walk around much until the right foot more fully heals.

The left stump appears to now be fully healed. But ive noticed she uses the fleshy "protusion" as a sort of toe extension. That means she puts a lot of pressure/weight on the fleshy part. The fleshy protusion is what remains of the bloody "blob" when her left foot detached. The protusion usually stays reddened. (And possibly inflamed?) So i guess that means i need to begin keeping the left stump wrapped and protected? I previously researched some byc threads on frostbite to learn what was used for padding and protecting. But that was soon after i knew she would at least lose her left foot, & have mostly forgotten what i read. Gonna start with what Eggcessive recommended a couple weeks ago. Other ideas are also welcome. Realize its now time to figure something out asap!

Below are photos taken yesterday. Not a lot of obvious change in right foot, just slow but steady continued healing. 2nd photo shows how reddened the left fleshy protusion was.

Attachments

• 20210609_150902.jpg
    20210609_150902.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 31
  • 20210609_150929.jpg
    20210609_150929.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 31
No worrries as far as your "taking the weekend off"; i cannot get internet reception to reply on byc unless i drive 15 miles into town to have a cell phone signal! And sometimes I dont do so for several days. I greatly appreciate your input whenever you give it.

I have not soaked her right foot since no one advised that i should. I've heeded the advice given here on byc throughout the process since this whole ordeal has been a (mostly clueless) first for me. Ive also kept her right foot wrapped thus far, since the wound seemed not fully closed and thus susceptible to infection. This is opposite what i did when the left foot detached. Then i was advised to soak the left stump in and leave it Uncovered. But the right foot wound remnant was much larger, & the differing advice did intuitively make sense. My only goal was that both stumps heal well and without infection, and so far both have done that.

As i said in my post above, Matilda is getting Bored! She was so quiet and patient for 3 full months, until a couple days after the right foot detached. Since then she has daily become increasingly more restless and Vocal! I hope that letting her outside for an hour or two each morn for some fresh air and sunshine will satisfy her. I will take care she doesn't walk around much until the right foot more fully heals.

The left stump appears to now be fully healed. But ive noticed she uses the fleshy "protusion" as a sort of toe extension. That means she puts a lot of pressure/weight on the fleshy part. The fleshy protusion is what remains of the bloody "blob" when her left foot detached. The protusion usually stays reddened. (And possibly inflamed?) So i guess that means i need to begin keeping the left stump wrapped and protected? I previously researched some byc threads on frostbite to learn what was used for padding and protecting. But that was soon after i knew she would at least lose her left foot, & have mostly forgotten what i read. Gonna start with what Eggcessive recommended a couple weeks ago. Other ideas are also welcome. Realize its now time to figure something out asap!

Below are photos taken yesterday. Not a lot of obvious change in right foot, just slow but steady continued healing. 2nd photo shows how reddened the left fleshy protusion was.
She's healing very well! If you decide to wrap the left stump, I'd suggest fluffing some cotton balls and wrapping them over the stump. It should provide some cushion for her so the inflammation gets a chance to go down. :)

Back
Top Bottom