Judee

Chirping
7 Years
Nov 12, 2015
Portland, Oregon
I have one chicken who disappears for days at a time. She hops the outer fence and I assume she has been taken by a predator, then she shows up 2-4 days later to join the flock and eat.
The rest of the flock behaves naturally when she joins them. Then, she seems to just disappear and I won't see her for a week.
When I do see her she looks healthy and hops over the fence to wherever she goes.
Asked neighbors all around, even our chicken keeper neighbor next door, who we have a good relationship with. He counts his girls each night and is on the lookout for her, too.
I found her nesting behind a gate on the other side of our property, yesterday. Assumed she was laying, so I let her be. She was still there last night, then again this morning. Not perched. On the ground. We even still have frost here.
How she survives, I don't know. This has gone on for over a month. I see she is gone from her little nesting spot right now, but nowhere to be seen. My husband thinks she is sick, but on inspection, she looks quite healthy. Any thoughts?

She's decided that sleeping rough is better/safer than sleeping in your coop for some reason.

If you don't have many predators around or aren't worried about it, then no, she isn't sick or anything. You can let her be.

If you'd like her to stop sleeping outside, it might work to shut her up inside the coop for a week or more, so she gets used to laying and roosting there again. It might take some time to change the habit, and she will probably still hop the fence if she feels like it, but she might come back to roost if she's used to being there.

I don't think I ever responded to your kind messages of support. That maverick chicken had a huge hidden nest on the other side of my house. We removed the laid eggs, cleaned up the shrubs to make the area less private and she just immersed herself back into the group like nothing happened. All is well ever since....

Back
Top Bottom