Maximum coop elevation

moonthief

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2021
I'm thinking about building a coop on a platform 4 to 6 feet off the ground with climb resistant posts and no ramp as a method of providing a safe place from predators. From what I've read chickens have no problem flying up to roosts much higher then this. I intend for the chickens to have free range of the yard with the hope that they will curb the tick population while also producing eggs. I live in a fairly wooded area in the northeast. I would appreciate thoughts on this plan and suggestions on which varieties of chickens would do best for this. Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you thought about predators being able to climb the legs of the platform?
Yes, I was intending to use either steel or PVC posts under the platform that would be difficult to climb and would require traversing the underside of the platform once climbed. I updated my post to specify climb resistant posts. Thanks!

In the northeast US you have raccoons and they are very proficient climbers.

I would think that putting your coop up that high would make it difficult for you to tend to your birds?

Maybe consider electric fence as an option?
From my research I haven't been able to find any animal in my area that can climb 4 inch diameter pipe so that is what I was planning to use. If something did manage it I'm thinking a cone would be a sufficient additional deterrent.

I agree putting the coop high up will make it harder to tend them and will probably involve a ladder. That is the main reason I am thinking 4 feet off the ground instead of 6. The 4 feet comes from my understanding that fox can't jump more then 3 feet.

I'm not sure how an electric fence would help. Are you thinking just around the base of the platform?

Thanks!

I'm thinking about building a coop on a platform 4 to 6 feet off the ground with climb resistant posts and no ramp as a method of providing a safe place from predators. From what I've read chickens have no problem flying up to roosts much higher then this. I intend for the chickens to have free range of the yard with the hope that they will curb the tick population while also producing eggs. I live in a fairly wooded area in the northeast. I would appreciate thoughts on this plan and suggestions on which varieties of chickens would do best for this. Thanks!

You mention being in a wooded area--something like a raccoon might be able to climb a tree, then jump down onto the top of the coop. So watch where you put the coop relative to the trees.

Please do let us know how it works. I've considered a similar idea myself, but so far I haven't tried it.

May need to take into consideration what birds you get, if that high. I doubt my BO and LB's could make it into the coop on a regular basis.
This is actually one of my biggest concerns and why I asked about what varieties of chicken would do best for this. It would be rather unfortunate if I put in this effort only to find out that the chickens couldn't get to the coop. I have a friend who has spent a lot of time on farms and assures me this will work with some chicken breeds but I have not been able to find any examples of someone actually doing this. So I'm trying to figure out if there is an obvious reason this won't work that we are overlooking.

Thanks!

You mention being in a wooded area--something like a raccoon might be able to climb a tree, then jump down onto the top of the coop. So watch where you put the coop relative to the trees.

Please do let us know how it works. I've considered a similar idea myself, but so far I haven't tried it.
Yeah, it wouldn't do to put my climb resistant structure next to something easily climbable.:) I think I can put it far enough from any trees to keep most predators from making the leap. If a bobcat or lynx wanders by though I might be hosed.

Thanks!

...what varieties of chicken would do best for this. It would be rather unfortunate if I put in this effort only to find out that the chickens couldn't get to the coop. I have a friend who has spent a lot of time on farms and assures me this will work with some chicken breeds but I have not been able to find any examples of someone actually doing this.
For chicken types, I would say not these:
silkie-type feathers or frizzle-type feathers
big, heavy birds (over about 5-6 lbs expected weight)
birds that cannot see well because of feathers (some crested breeds, a few with large muffs)

That leaves you to with most small breeds and bantam breeds as possibilities.

Since you also want them for eggs, I would try Leghorns or Hamburgs. Both breeds come in many colors. The Hamburgs will tend to be smaller, and lay smaller eggs, than the Leghorns. Of the Leghorns, the White variety probably lays more eggs than the other color varieties, because it's the one strongly selected for commercial use.

Some bantams would fly even better, especially the small slender ones like Old English Game and Sebright, but they will lay fewer eggs and smaller eggs. I've had Old English Game Bantams that could fly straight up from the ground to a tree branch that was about the height you're talking about. I suspect they could have gone higher, but never saw it to know for sure.

Back
Top Bottom