Maximum coop elevation

I really think the maintenance part of it is going to be the downfall. Are you really able and willing to regularly lug up loads of bedding? Going up there daily in all sorts of weather to clean out, bring up food, fetch eggs?

Then again, I'm afraid of heights and struggle to even use a step ladder, so... 😅

I really think the maintenance part of it is going to be the downfall. Are you really able and willing to regularly lug up loads of bedding? Going up there daily in all sorts of weather to clean out, bring up food, fetch eggs?

Then again, I'm afraid of heights and struggle to even use a step ladder, so... 😅

Man, I’m comfortable on a ladder but I wouldn’t want to wrestle my 40# bags of pine pellets up one! Not to mention shoveling and scooping it out!

Man, I’m comfortable on a ladder but I wouldn’t want to wrestle my 40# bags of pine pellets up one! Not to mention shoveling and scooping it out!

Shoveling out would be the easier part... just shove it out the door. But I put in about 5 yardcarts of wood chips into my coop twice a year, and have no idea how I'd get all that into the coop if it was elevated 6' up.

Have you considered just making the coop secure and letting the chickens out to free range? If you got an automatic door, you wouldn’t have to close it up each night either or open it on the mornings. Chickens are vulnerable at night, but during the day they’re able to spread out, hide in undergrowth, and stay alert. Occasional losses can certainly happen while free ranging, but having a secure coop can prevent a predator annihilating your flock while they sleep. And if you’re not building a run because of free ranging, a solid wooden coop is fairly easy to make “predator proof”
You are probably right but what would be the fun in that? ;)

I suspect the regular maintenance is the flaw in having chickens. :)

However if having to do the maintenance anyway doing so on an elevated platform vs on the ground does not bother me.

I'm thinking about building a coop on a platform 4 to 6 feet off the ground with climb resistant posts and no ramp as a method of providing a safe place from predators. From what I've read chickens have no problem flying up to roosts much higher then this. I intend for the chickens to have free range of the yard with the hope that they will curb the tick population while also producing eggs. I live in a fairly wooded area in the northeast. I would appreciate thoughts on this plan and suggestions on which varieties of chickens would do best for this. Thanks!
I live in the pacific NW and my lowest roost is about 6 feet...and highest is 8+ feet. chickens want to roost as high as possible. as long as you give access, i would make your roosts as high as possible.

Back
Top Bottom