May 10th due date Anyone else close?

I set 40 eggs on April 21, expecting a May 12 hatch. Fingers crossed! I bought some LF Cochins, blue Marans and added my own Lavender Orpingtons. Good luck to everyone!

I set 40 eggs on April 21, expecting a May 12 hatch. Fingers crossed! I bought some LF Cochins, blue Marans and added my own Lavender Orpingtons. Good luck to everyone!
Good luck. I am so hoping for some Marans!
fl.gif

Cracked open a OE egg last night. It was scramble. Now I wonder about the rest.
Can't see much in the Marans.
How's everyone else doing?

We'll find out tonight. It's only day 3, but usually I can see some development at that time.

I've only incubated 2 Marans eggs, I'm pretty sure I didn't even bother candling them except at the beginning to check for hairline cracks and maybe once halfway through to see if I could see any movement. They both hatched, but we lost both of those chicks. I do have a BR/Marans BSL that lays beautiful large moderately dark eggs, wouldn't mind having a few more like her!

Just set 7 eggs under my broody dark cornish hen.. never had a broody before, so this is the very first for me. :)

Setting 7 others in the incubator tonight as soon as it's stable. The breeder unexpectedly gave me over double what I asked for, and I didn't think my broody could sit on 14. She's pretty small.

Well, I cracked 6 open tonight. two BCM even. I can see fairly well with my cell phone light.
Only one showed any signs of ever starting.
Maybe the post off ice here just doesn't know how to not scramble them?
They were too far to tell if fertile or not. It's looking like I am getting my second zero hatch. WOW wish I knew what was wrong...

Aw, I'm sorry your hatch isn't going well. It's probably a variety of factors. I've had the worst hatches with shipped eggs, though I don't know how well mine could compare since every time I've had eggs shipped I have started them in the incubator then moved them under a broody at about a week when I could see which ones were developing and which ones were obviously clear. I had one shipment where I got 6 eggs out of 15 (9 of which made it to lockdown), and of those 6 chicks only one survived to maturity (lost one to a hawk at 2 weeks, 4 to a raccoon, and 1 was beaten to death by my own hens...the sixth managed to break her hip when she was 4 1/2 months old!). Between the shipping stress, all of the variable incubator issues with temperature and humidity, and infertile eggs it's hard to pin it all on one problem.

Aw, I'm sorry your hatch isn't going well. It's probably a variety of factors. I've had the worst hatches with shipped eggs, though I don't know how well mine could compare since every time I've had eggs shipped I have started them in the incubator then moved them under a broody at about a week when I could see which ones were developing and which ones were obviously clear. I had one shipment where I got 6 eggs out of 15 (9 of which made it to lockdown), and of those 6 chicks only one survived to maturity (lost one to a hawk at 2 weeks, 4 to a raccoon, and 1 was beaten to death by my own hens...the sixth managed to break her hip when she was 4 1/2 months old!). Between the shipping stress, all of the variable incubator issues with temperature and humidity, and infertile eggs it's hard to pin it all on one problem.
I wish one of my hens would go broody. I haven't had a one try since 2007! I have several different breeds but apparently not the right ones??
I would love a broody hen!

I have a BABY!!! one of the OE eggs hatched. I only had three left in the bator. One I was sure I saw movement in when I candled Sunday so I marked it with a smile. Last night I got a chickie from my smiley egg! Soon as I move it to the brooder I will get a better picture to post.
RIght now I am just happy to get even one of these. My bad luck is over now right??

Back
Top Bottom