MAY 2016 "Land of the Free Because of the brave!" Hatch-a-Long Hosted by, Mike & Sally

We got our first baby Silkie from our own eggs just now
YIPPEE!!!!!! I remember that day! It was the beginning of a really special hobby for me! I still have that first one too, from 8 years ago! Congrats!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

I heard a faint cheep from one of the duck eggs in lockdown so a twist on Reba Mcintire song "Is there life out there" I am singing Yes there is life in there!!
lau.gif
Woohoo!!!!

Is 4 weeks old enough to start living outside without a heat lamp even at night? It hasn't dropped below 50 degrees F at night.
That is when I put mine out, without a light, if it is above 50. Not my silkies though.

Well, i had the boys and girls in separate brooders. Apparently they decided they were done with that. Woke up to all but three of the girls in the boys brooder. Three weeks old and already causing trouble.

Oh my goodness, just like the teenagers around here!

Is 4 weeks old enough to start living outside without a heat lamp even at night? It hasn't dropped below 50 degrees F at night.

Mine were off heat by three weeks when it went down into the high thirties- as long as they are acclimated, they will be fine.
-Banti

Last edited:
Quote:
And I'd totally give them to you. I want them to have a good home.
I live in Canada, unfortunately of course, for this transaction to occur.
hmm.png

I'm hoping the neighbors up the road will give them a nice home once they build a coop.
They're fantastic broodies so far, so they're redeeming themselves that way.
Somehow I accidently put one of their eggs in and I have a baby Silkie cross chick.
barnie.gif

I pulled my rooster 2 days ago and I hope to A.I. from here on....so I don't plan on these Silkie hens being fertile again.
So I can make it work if they stay.
thumbsup.gif

Oh crap...someone mentioned about multi quotes?
I saw that and forgot to answer.

To multi quote, just keep clicking on multi for the posts you wish to quote.
When you wish to reply to the quotes you've chosen, click on the reply button.
The quotes will be waiting for you in this reply box.
Insert your comments in the places you wish to reply.

(I hope I explained that clearly enough)
old.gif

Oh crap...someone mentioned about multi quotes?
I saw that and forgot to answer.

To multi quote, just keep clicking on multi for the posts you wish to quote.
When you wish to reply to the quotes you've chosen, click on the reply button.
The quotes will be waiting for you in this reply box.
Insert your comments in the places you wish to reply.

(I hope I explained that clearly enough)
old.gif

Thank you!!
smile.png

Well 10 of 10 yellow goldens made it to lockdown and all 10 hatched. 2 With my assistance but they are all doing very well the first 9 have already moved to the brooder last one is drying and will move him as soon as he looks ready.

LL

Ha..a Chicken named Cynthia! I will have to name one Wicked now. Shouldn't be too hard as those little stinkers do come along every now and again.
tongue.png
I should get a photo of my girl. I call her smudge because she looks like she has .. smudge on her..chocolate? She's getting quite pretty. Kind of a brown lacing. She has black spots here and there. Your girl is getting really pretty too..almost like a splash!

Back
Top Bottom