May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
Found some Narragansett eggs locally :)

Theyll be heading into the incubator Tuesday. Only getting 6 eggs, so fingers crossed we get a few. Really only want a Tom and maybe one or two females. We shall see!

Surprising my son tomorrow to pick them up. It’s a 3 hour or more drive. Going to tell him to bring gloves and boots, we’re picking up broken filler concrete lol. He hates loading concrete! Then we’ll show up on this lady’s farm and meet the turkeys :)

Heres dad...
View attachment 2097758

These babies are from March hatchalong. 3 Deatherlayers, 2 Silver Spitzhaubens and the rest are Silkie bantam/Sebright crosses, a few Russian Orloff/Sebright crosses in there too.

View attachment 2097770
View attachment 2097781

Moved outside without a lamp! Proud of myself, as I normally leave a heat lamp outside for a month or more lol
View attachment 2097782
Cute chicks and most people do leave the heat too long. I get more questions about when to move them out. This year, at five weeks the heritage birds were fully feathered. Put them out in a tractor, snowed the next day. The chicks didn't care.

It really is, isnt it?

I am on day 9 and I candled half on day 7 and half on day 8. I am taking the night off. LOL
Those are really cute chicks. I want a Spitzhauben. They crack me up. Have you had them before? are they ok layers? I hear they are great foragers and a bit "wild" which would suit me fine. My hens need a few good foragers ... I give mine a worm from the garden and they all look at me like him nuts. (I have 3 hens out of 21 that will eat a worm!!) Crazy.

We have a robin who always nests in the dumbest place under the overhang of our main floor... but we rebuilt our house last year, and the only thing left there are the water lines that go to heat the pool.... she built her nest on the water lines!! Its insane... anyways, there are 4 gorgeous blue eggs in there. Now I know that if she cant hatch them, I can! 😄

Set it!!!
Sparrow eggs

1587357320090.jpg

Set it!!!
If only I needed a house bird! Technically raising it would be illegal if it did hatch :rolleyes: much like keeping the 8 tiny abandoned ducklings I found wandering around in the driveway after a big storm last year. I had to put them in my coat pockets, there were so many, and I debated raising them for a while. Took them to the wildlife sanctuary the next day and they were quite impressed with my brooder set up! :yesss:

Oh - I also found a local source (20 mins or so) for hatching eggs, once I see how this run goes/when I'm ready for some new blood. Black copper marans and OE's and I think they had some EE's too!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom