May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Some definitely do not. Definitely. When you finally give up and harvest them, you will see that they have way-oversized family jewels. Not their fault, but still... An hour in the pressure cooker and some cream of mushroom soup does wonders for that bad boy attitude. 😋
Good to know!!! Thanks!! I think having Jack with the big girls has helped cause he gets beat up when he’s rude :lau

Not too badly but they just will chase him off/give him hell and/or peck him when he jumps them or one of their flock mates :lau

He’s learning lol

The Turks are still alive. One barely and one is almost recovered.

Potluck eggs are currently in the middle of hatching. CCL is out, drying and it’s a girl 🤗

Throw a twist into this second hatch... other half decided we’re going camping for 3 days. Camper loaded up, bikes are in. But my babies are hatching!!!! To make things worse... My foxfire eggs will be at the post office tomorrow. AND we made an appointment at the co op to pick up three Narragansett poults since the hatch was so bad. Lol, damn it.

Guess I’ll be watching everyone else’s hatch On here while my daughter takes care of ours.

I just had 2 hatches that I had a not so great feeling about and am about ready to hatch my 3rd batch that I don't feel the greatest about. My first was a batch of Delawares off ebay. They weren't the best packed and I ended up with a lot of clears and when I looked back at the pictures I noticed the rooster had curly toes, so unsure about the health of the flock. I ended up with 2 chicks. The 2nd was a batch of d'Uccles. The eggs were kind of dirty when they arrived and the air cells were a bit messed up. I ended up with 2 out of that batch too. I am about ready to hatch my OE's....they got stuck at the original post office for 3 days before shipping so were a week old when I got them....I am down to 3.

Yea, I may stick to raising my own to hatch from now on, since I have the best luck with my own.

I had a lot not make it past lock down, I think this is my worst hatch. Out of 30, I still have 13 that i believe quit. I couldn’t hear a heartbeat with my stethoscope on any of them.

On the plus I have 2 turkeys almost out and 4 more pipping, but sadly 1 quitter, I think it got its egg sac
image.jpg
BDCCB53A-7192-4257-B813-4213EDDDBA71.jpeg

I am having what may be one of those hatched right now. Eggs didn’t travel far but got lost for two days between NJ and central NY so I didn’t get them until day 8. The air cells looked pretty toasted on most. But I set got 5 that made it to lockdown, one went DIS right after leaving me with four and of those four only one has a decent air cell. But when I candled tonight there was still movement so fingers crossed.

I hope your remaining 4 hatch well!!

I hope your remaining 4 hatch well!!
out of the 5 I have to hatch 1 from my flock and the 4 others. Mine is doing the best out of all them. The ones with the really toasted air cells are still moving but because of how the air cell is positioned I cant tell if they internally pipped or not yet. So I safety holed them to be safe last night. I have lost way to many black east indies to bad air cells and malpositions to not do that at least.

Yea, I may stick to raising my own to hatch from now on, since I have the best luck with my own.

I had a lot not make it past lock down, I think this is my worst hatch. Out of 30, I still have 13 that i believe quit. I couldn’t hear a heartbeat with my stethoscope on any of them.

On the plus I have 2 turkeys almost out and 4 more pipping, but sadly 1 quitter, I think it got its egg sac View attachment 2152044View attachment 2152045

Once I get all the breeds I want and get my new coop built next summer, I will be much more likely to hatch eggs or sell hatching eggs from my own flock. I just need a bit more variety. So far, I think that out of 13 shipped egg orders...only having 3 bad shipments/hatches isn't too terrible.

Back
Top Bottom