May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Last hatch for me in the May hatch-along! 7 out of 14 lavender and black, split to lavender, ameraucanas going into lockdown. Should hatch by Saturday.
Badly saddled air cells in all of them, 2 of them I am not hopeful, but putting them in lockdown anyway as super difficult to see through the blue shells, even harder than the Marans!
So if I hatch five out of these I will be so happy!😀
I have another dozen lavender ameraucanas ordered as a back up after I saw the condition these were in. They should be arriving next week, so I’ll jump on the June hatch-along for those!
❤️
36A24E0E-0F11-46DE-8B27-B1FD2605F8B4.jpeg

Not sure how long to give the last egg before calling it quits mind
I just tossed the one silkie egg that did not hatch here on DAY 24. I was 99% sure it was dead, no movement when I candled it, but gave it a few days anyway. It never pipped. Did the float test on it today, it did not pass. There are different schools of thought, but if you can give it a few more days, I would. :)

I just tossed the one silkie egg that did not hatch here on DAY 24. I was 99% sure it was dead, no movement when I candled it, but gave it a few days anyway. It never pipped. Did the float test on it today, it did not pass. There are different schools of thought, but if you can give it a few more days, I would. :)
Ah thank you ! Yes I will give it til day 25 then try the water test if if hasnt pipped by then . It was fertile and growing well but because it's a blue egg it was very hard to candle ! Thank you

Last hatch for me in the May hatch-along! 7 out of 14 lavender and black, split to lavender, ameraucanas going into lockdown. Should hatch by Saturday.
Badly saddled air cells in all of them, 2 of them I am not hopeful, but putting them in lockdown anyway as super difficult to see through the blue shells, even harder than the Marans!
So if I hatch five out of these I will be so happy!😀
I have another dozen lavender ameraucanas ordered as a back up after I saw the condition these were in. They should be arriving next week, so I’ll jump on the June hatch-along for those!

View attachment 2163954

This looks like my lavender araucanas last year, i still maintain this is the best way to attempt a hatch for ultra saddled or detached air cells as it gives them the entire period of incubation for them too settle. I hope the hatch surprises you x.

Yes I got a secondary one that sits in with the eggs, not just hanging down from the top so I'm confident the temp and humidity was good. I'm going to take the advice from others on here and try a different breeder. Then I'll know if the problem is my setup. Thanks!

I had a similar hatch in january, only 4 out of 24 hatched and all 4 were assists.
They were all my own eggs, they all grew to full size but were all DIS on day 23, some completely malpositioned, some pipped through vessels and bled out some internally pipped and died..
It almost made me give up BUT since then i have had 2 successfull hatches since with exactly the same settings, it drove me crazy that i never worked out what went wrong.

My 13 little ones are 3 weeks old now! I am hoping I don’t have too many cockerels but I think there are only 3 whose combs are not growing. Still no pink combs though, so crossing my fingers.
Just ordered 2 dozen more eggs so I’ll be doing another hatch with BBS Orpingtons. Here are a few pics of my May hatch babies (12 Swedish Flowers & 1 Buff Orpington).
EDB02358-2CFE-4C74-B60E-100EDBD0D374.jpeg

0676F433-50C5-4014-B632-630615C62848.jpeg

EBEE983D-1A00-4B04-873B-792683AE07BE.jpeg

2D538485-4BE7-4064-AB06-3749B134BCB1.jpeg

2E52A0A5-6F87-4B6A-AD92-433C3723A8B3.jpeg

CF624C6F-FEA9-4E6D-9D64-CA8079E0EA5B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom