May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Hey I am setting some quail eggs and maybe turkey eggs in a week or two. I already have a young flock of quail and I just yesterday introduced a rooster. Hopefully I will get eggs in the next day or two and some of them will be fertilized. I will not be using the first eggs that the quail lay. I have cortnix quail. 😎 The turkey eggs will be for getting their eggs but I have another plan. I will hopefully be raising white Broad Breasted Turkeys so I can have them for thanksgiving! I love hearing about y’all’s adventures and advice!

Attachments

• 066CD7F0-C186-4CB5-9A06-CA15DA2D8519.jpeg
    066CD7F0-C186-4CB5-9A06-CA15DA2D8519.jpeg
    406.5 KB · Views: 9
Hey I am setting some quail eggs and maybe turkey eggs in a week or two. I already have a young flock of quail and I just yesterday introduced a rooster. Hopefully I will get eggs in the next day or two and some of them will be fertilized. I will not be using the first eggs that the quail lay. I have cortnix quail. 😎 The turkey eggs will be for getting their eggs but I have another plan. I will hopefully be raising white Broad Breasted Turkeys so I can have them for thanksgiving! I love hearing about y’all’s adventures and advice!

Welcome to the hatch-a-long and good luck on your hatch! I look forward to your updates! After I hatched turkey poults I couldn't eat them, lol. They're way more personable than I expected. :lau but I'm a softie.

Welcome to the hatch-a-long and good luck on your hatch! I look forward to your updates! After I hatched turkey poults I couldn't eat them, lol. They're way more personable than I expected. :lau but I'm a softie.
Ya I’ve thought about that same problem with me. 😂 I am going to hatch a couple Of turkeys for there eggs. I have had there eggs and I truly enjoy there flavor. Once I get my little poults I will then buy more for thanksgiving.

What did you do with all the Cockerels?
Well...... I grew them all out so I could see who would be the prettiest (keeping egg colour genes in mind) and then my husband had a "rooster day " and he processed the current rooster at the time (no one liked him much) and 9 of the cockerels (are they still cockerels at 6 months?) ... so I still have 5.

I found they aren't good for much but soup..(and even then...a bit dry and stringy). If anyone has a good cockerel recipe, please share!!

I'm toying with the idea of keeping a second flock on the far side of the house, so they can wander thru the veggie garden eating bugs etc... it would be about 500 ft from the barn/coop- so I'm not sure if the flocks would stay separate or not...

Anyways, that's what I did- and I have too many roosters! But I love how fancy they are! :confused:

Well...... I grew them all out so I could see who would be the prettiest (keeping egg colour genes in mind) and then my husband had a "rooster day " and he processed the current rooster at the time (no one liked him much) and 9 of the cockerels (are they still cockerels at 6 months?) ... so I still have 5.

I found they aren't good for much but soup..(and even then...a bit dry and stringy). If anyone has a good cockerel recipe, please share!!

I'm toying with the idea of keeping a second flock on the far side of the house, so they can wander thru the veggie garden eating bugs etc... it would be about 500 ft from the barn/coop- so I'm not sure if the flocks would stay separate or not...

Anyways, that's what I did- and I have too many roosters! But I love how fancy they are! :confused:
Did you guys let them rest in the fridge first?

The longer you rest the better the meat. I rest for 5 days in the fridge then I put them in the freezer or cook them.

Getting an instant pot is best when you're doing.okder Cockerels (6+ months). It makes the meat tender.

It's all in how you do the entire butchering process which will give you the best meat.

I set 12 eggs in a Janoel 12 incubator this morning.
5 eggs are Spitzhauben, and 7 small ones are Sebright-Spitzhauben cross. They have the date laid written on them. The oldest would be 4-6.
So today is day zero, right?
eggs in incubator a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom