May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
1st Spright---In the first few minutes of its life, it has gone from one end of the incubator to the other and back, talking constantly.

1st Spright b.jpg

Do I have to worry about the humidity getting too high as the eggs hatch? It got up to 79% with the first one. I opened the lid to re arrange the thermometer which had been knocked on to an egg. Now humidity is 74%.

No, short periods of time with the humidity spiking as they hatch doesn't hurt anything.

We should start a club. Mine isn't empty yet and I just got 4 dozen more eggs, plus collecting the barred rocks... :oops:

Got to get your money's worth out of the incubator, I say! I intend to keep my ones that just hatched but if I hatched more, those could be sold, or eaten. That's my theory anyway. I might wait a few weeks to do another batch just so I will have these chicks moved outside and not be dealing with multiple brooders.

Overall I'm reasonably pleased with this being my first attempt, 8/11 hatched and are doing well. And. If I hand turn the next batch too, I can easily fit quite a few more in there!

We should start a club. Mine isn't empty yet and I just got 4 dozen more eggs, plus collecting the barred rocks... :oops:

I have silkie eggs coming and seriously considering buying some swedish flower hens....and the person who bought my silver appenzellers asked if I had any more copper marans. So might be looking at hatching some more of those.

How do I keep the humidity in my incubator from fluctuating? It went from..45 to 40 to 37, then back to 40. I went to bed and woke up and it was at 21. How do I keep the humidity steady? Also will the eggs die if this keeps happening?

Back
Top Bottom