May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

Anyone in here have geese? Whats the difference in temperament in general with Chinese and African?
You might get some good info on the gosling hatch-a-long. I have American Buffs. They're pretty chill usually, though they do get first dibs on the food dish of their choice. Now with two of the three girls sitting, they're showing their dino heritage. I'd recommend separate housing for sure. I once had a pair of Chinese. Let's just say I was not sad when a dog killed them. But that's just one pair and I got them as adults from someone who didn't want paying. Very grateful to find someone to take them.

About the Africans, I don't know anything but what I've read and heard, which is that they can be aggressive. If you're looking for kid friendly, from my research and limited experience, I'd go with American Buffs.

I broke down. I couldn't wait to take pics of 18 wriggling balls of fluff so I picked a couple by color groups. The bright yellows should be my Buff Orpington crosses. The Red faced should be my RIR or Red Ranger crosses. The Blacks are either Australorps or Silver laced Wyandotte crosses. The only way I tell those apart is the combs are already different.
20200513_214547~2.jpg
20200513_214652~2.jpg
20200513_214759~2.jpg

This last one is one of my favorites because its rockin eyeliner
20200513_214427~2.jpg

Chewy has precut wedges for the gallon (and bigger I suppose) waterers to keep chicks safe. It beats using a ton of marbles!
Your pet will love this K&H Pet Products Drowning Prevention Chick Saver for Poultry Waterer:
https://app.chewy.com/lhJLTZp6s6
I’ll check it out tomorrow. I have to download the app

Chewy has precut wedges for the gallon (and bigger I suppose) waterers to keep chicks safe. It beats using a ton of marbles!
Your pet will love this K&H Pet Products Drowning Prevention Chick Saver for Poultry Waterer:
https://app.chewy.com/lhJLTZp6s6

That's a nifty idea! I just grabbed a big handful of rocks from our gravel driveway for my waterer. :gig

How long does she get up for? It's normal for them to get up to stretch, eat, drink, and potty before they go back. Every hen has slightly different time frames but I would worry about allowing a hen to hatch eggs if she doesn't seem committed.

Shes in to the third week so she seems commited, she just seems to forget where the nest is because she makes panicy noises when shes off them over half hour but if you show her the nest she clucks and grumbles like you tried to hide it from her.
As i pointed out earlier in the thread, brahmas are lovely sweet docile birds......... just a bit thick as well :D

Back
Top Bottom