May be adopting Barn Cats - Will they harm my chickens/ducks? xpost

DuckDuckSook

Songster
Jan 20, 2020
Southeastern PA
My Coop
My Coop
Hello friends! I posted this in Other Livestock, but thought it might get more responses here.
I may be adopting a few barn cats in the near future. They would be living in our small barn where we store hay and straw. However, I'm concerned about the safety of my chickens and ducks. Would the cats go after the birds if they are out free-ranging in a section of our property? Also, I'm new to cats. Any recommendations on affordable dry food for barn cats and tips on locking them inside the barn at night. Thanks so much!

We don't have any cats but I have seen some stray cats on my cameras mostly at night. One did touch the electric wires that go around my coops and pens. It went straight up in the air and when it come down it had the look of what the hell just happened. It sat for a bit then took off.

This was last night a cat prowling out at the outer coops.
DSCF000233 01.jpg

Almost all cats are totally intimidated by standard sized birds, but chicks unprotected by a broody hen would likely be fair game. No cat here has tried for my bantams either, but again, chicks are at risk. By the time my hatchery chicks are off heat and ready to explore outside of the coop and run, they are feathered out and larger.
I hope your new cats will be tested, vaccinated, and neutered before you get them!
One or two cats are plenty, BTW, not a zillion.
And good food pays off! Here we fed our barn kitties Science Diet, which is expensive per pound, but not per day, and the daily amount was eaten within a few minutes, never left out to attract the skunks, raccoons, and opossums that will show up for cat food.
Survival rates for outdoor cats is not great; cars especially take many, and they need to avoid dogs and coyotes too.
Mary

Our neighborhood cats don’t mess with any birds over 10” tall. We have built our quail pen like Fort Knox because our own cat sits below dove nests and waits for fledglings to be pushed out. She is very naughty.

as to food, we use nutranuggets from Costco at 20 lb $10 or so. May be cheaper stuff but this has worked fir us for 7 years with no problems

We have two outside cats had three one seems to have taken a home other two are around all the time.. No bother to birds, Yes peeps keep them in the house or fort nox they will kill those If your able keep them inside a few days show them where home is. I detest science diet .. Most food today for cats is fine I do pay a bit more buying a indoor food for out house cats .. Outside buy at Costco maintenance diet

Back
Top Bottom