MAY HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Okay... In lockdown and having all sorts of second-guessing going on and freaking myself out now. Is this normal?

About the first week of incubation the humidity was kind of low (27-33) due to operator error (flat out...I forgot!).

From then on it was at 42-45.

Now lockdown humidity is between 66-70%.

My fear is the humidity going higher.... Should it be lower?

The downside I'm seeing is perhaps the air cells are a bit larger than any diagrams...... But on Day 18 candling all eggs had movement. Is there gonna be problems?

This wait-and-see stuff is AWFUL. Any advice or comfort would be welcomed.... I can tell this is going to be a nerve-wracking weekend.....

p.s.
This is my first hatch after a 15-year absence. I might as well be a newbie as it has been Sooooo long.

Last edited:
22 babies chirping up the brooder! Two more about to hatch. Had a bit of bad luck. One chick had zipped half the shell, but it had zipped down or one of the chicks had knocked him so the zip was face down in the paper towel. I opened up the shell after determining it was dead, and he was all dried up and perfect looking. Wish I had caught it earlier. We have about 5 eggs that have not pipped, in a few days I am determined to open them up to find out what went wrong. I have a hard time with that but I have to do it.

I have the cutest babies, 5 buff brahma x EE, they have the cutest little furry legs. Can't wait til they are grown!

Quote:
I second guessed myself silly on the hatch I have going now....I think your humidity is fine...I ran mine about 75 and a little above for lockdown, if you had movement on day 18 you should be in good shape. The humidity will go up when they start to hatch, but it will come back in line as they dry. Don't open the incubator to add water, use a straw, syringe, tubing, something like that to put in water. As my chicks were hatching, I left my first ones in over 24 hours until they were picking on the youngest ones and then I had my DH only open the lid about 4" so I could reach in and snatch chicks, had a spray bottle of warm water right there and misted the tops of the eggs(couple squirts) and then shut the lid. Then put some more water in thru the vent hole's with a straw and syringe, humidity jumped to 85, but went back down as the tops of the eggs dried...it worked fine...they kept hatching.....are still hatching...(22 so far out of 31 eggs and at least a couple more to go) I had to do it twice, but seemed that no harm was done...perhaps someone will have another suggestion regarding this...some take them into a steamy bathroom to open, etc., so hopefully someone will chime in with other ideas.

Good luck on your hatch!
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I had a chick pip zip and out in twenty minutes my daughter was able to watch it pop out of the shell and she was ecstatic now there are a couple more pips but nothing but cheeping from the standard eggs, but today is only day 20

Thanks, Chickencrazymamahen! And congrats on your bountiful hatch!

I've got it rigged up so that I can fill the water troughs via syringe/straw without opening the incubator or disturbing the non-skid flooring...and have it set up so the drafts of the open plug are the farthest away from the eggs and a nice post-hatch space AND optimal viewing.... kind of the bator feng shui! All I need now are peeps!

I've decided to resign myself to ditch the worry (what good does it, really?) and just send happy hatching vigor vibes towards the eggs.... Afterall, they've made the journey thus far against some pretty good odds and haven't disappointed. I should only wish them luck and good cheer. "YAY! Goooooo EGGS!"

D'Angelo N Va. :

woot.gif
FINALLY!!! i have a decent hatch. i went back and re-read the instructions for dry hatching from Sav. the Favs and followed her advice and got a hygrometer and I found out the room I had them in was on the front of the house and temp. and humidity was going up each day when it got full sun and I was aslo adding water each time the well got low..so I stopped it and I got 13 little baby D'Uccles between Wednesday and Thursday. I have 3 more trying to pip out, but I don't know about them....I think they might be too weak to come out..I left the incubator on though. should I do anything else to it???

Hey, you did it!!! Good research on what to fix. Congrats on your fine hatch!!!​

Back
Top Bottom