May hatch-a-long

Pics
Can I join in on the fun?! I started my incubation 11 days ago. I am expecting them on Mother's Day weekend. In my incubator we have 10 eggs from our own hens and roos. Not certain which roo will be the daddy but could be my lavender ameraucana or my EE that we sold the day before the eggs went in the incubator. The hens are a mix of brown leghorns, golden comets, a silver laced cochin and a splash orpington.

in addition to those eggs, I bought a half dozen blue orpington and a half dozen black ameraucana eggs from a local breeder.

on day 4 when I candled them I found 3 that are likely duds, one from my cochin and two from the blue orpington. my other hens eggs looked right on track, however the eggs from the breeder looked a day or two ahead. I did find one that I thought was dead because it was bigger and darker in the shell and went to set it down and noticed it was moving around!!! Okay, so now I have a dilemma on what to do with that egg, because it really looked to be at least 4 days farther along than the rest.:eek:

anyway, we are now on day 11, maybe I will take a look again tonight to see how things are coming. Or perhaps I should wait until day 14 - but if I wait it might mean that the one farther along will be needing to be in lockdown at that point and I could end up killing it.

what to do, what to do.......:barnie
It sounds like it could hatch before lockdown, which would work out perfectly. If it hatches during lockdown, and none of the others have pipped yet, you can take it out. If it hatches once there's other pips, you should just leave it in there. Chicks do fine for 2 days without food & water. They live off of the nutrients they've absorbed from the yolk.

You must have a great candler I have tried to candle on day 7 and sometimes I don't see anything but buy day 10 is something their so now I just candle starting day 10. It would be nice to know if an egg is good or bad early.

No i wouldn't say it's a great light but it gets the job done. The bantam eggs are really light so is easy to see, I honestly want expecting much as i don't have a rooster with them and they were on the tail end of fertile. Plus the only one that hatched last hatch was a failure to thrive. As for the 3 standards they were some of my lighters egg and there wasn't even indication of progression, possibly infertile. And the 3 I kept in question either have some indication of progression or are to dark to see clearly. Most of the eggs I can see at least some veins by day 5. I just had to do it last night as trash goes out today.

And also how long should it take to hatch after pip and when do I help and should I still do a safety hole

If the membrane is broken you don't need to. At this piont I would check the membrane to see if it's open or not and possibly use the pip a the safety and break only the membrane at the pip.

Two of my chicks died after pipping. They never did anything else. Any ideas why they didn’t zip? The humidity is been great. In fact their membrane still look wet.

The goo on the 1 suggests to me it might have hit a view while pipping. But otherwise i would guess possibly failure to thrives. I don't think you did anything wrong.

Hi I am an elementary school teacher. I’m new here but I have a question about my day 22 hatching chicken eggs. Disclaimer I don’t know what breed they are but there were blue/green eggs and light brown eggs. I am using a mini Brinsea incubator. I had 6 fertile eggs and five have hatched. Two hatched yesterday (one the night before) and then three more last night. I opened the incubator and took the chickens out after doing my best to make sure there wasn’t any external pipping on the last egg. After candling the last blue/green egg I realized that the air sac had grown and I could see a chick’s body inside where I hadn’t been able to tell before. I put more water in one side of the water chamber and put the egg back in. I am so worried that by opening the incubator I might have killed the chick or I might have put in too much water. I probablyhad the lid open for about 2 minutes.
Any advice? My elevation is above 4,000feet with a fairly dry climate, except it isspring.

Two of my chicks died after pipping. They never did anything else. Any ideas why they didn’t zip? The humidity is been great. In fact their membrane still look wet.

What was the humidity during incubation? Could it have been too high? The seepage tells me there was still a lot of fluid left in these eggs at pip. Too much for the chicks to absorb as they usually would. Did you have any sticky chicks? Were they shipped eggs?

Hi I am an elementary school teacher. I’m new here but I have a question about my day 22 hatching chicken eggs. Disclaimer I don’t know what breed they are but there were blue/green eggs and light brown eggs. I am using a mini Brinsea incubator. I had 6 fertile eggs and five have hatched. Two hatched yesterday (one the night before) and then three more last night. I opened the incubator and took the chickens out after doing my best to make sure there wasn’t any external pipping on the last egg. After candling the last blue/green egg I realized that the air sac had grown and I could see a chick’s body inside where I hadn’t been able to tell before. I put more water in one side of the water chamber and put the egg back in. I am so worried that by opening the incubator I might have killed the chick or I might have put in too much water. I probablyhad the lid open for about 2 minutes.
Any advice? My elevation is above 4,000feet with a fairly dry climate, except it isspring.
It should be ok if there was no pip keep an eye on it it might just be a late Hatcher

Back
Top Bottom