May hatch-a-long

May Hatch a Long. I am back had major computer problems. Had to send lap top to IT guy.

Update: hatched 4 Lavender Guineas still can't show pictures and 62 game hens
this weekend 30 Guineas set on lock down. I have to read thread to update on what I missed.
Welcome back :)
That's some serious hatching you've got going on!

so today is day 17 and im am worried that the chicks will not be safe where they are i was going to build them a coop for just the hen and the chicks but the chicks will be in lock done :barnie
This is something you should have started when she first went broody not at lockdown. Good luck building a broody coop for her and her chicks and good luck on the hatch

This is something you should have started when she first went broody not at lockdown. Good luck building a broody coop for her and her chicks and good luck on the hatch
thanks i know i should have done it way sooner but ive been busy and could not get around to it but when do you think i should move hr on day 18 or when the chicks hatch

And now there are 3! Unplanned staggered hatch under a broody. First was born Tues. we had one hatch and die Wed. Second was born Thursday. Third was born today! There are still some under her and I know I’ll toss them in a few days. Mom and chicks are in a brooder area, so she can sit, chicks can hop about safely and everyone can eat and drink as needed. I was tickled with one! Three is a true gift!

thanks i know i should have done it way sooner but ive been busy and could not get around to it but when do you think i should move hr on day 18 or when the chicks hatch
If she's no longer having an issue with the other hens she should be fine, but you need to have a pen or brooder ready to move her and the chicks as soon as they hatch just in case. If you want to move her before hatch its best to do so before lockdown though if she's in danger by other chickens any time is better then not at all. can you biuld like a small safe exstention off her coop for food and water for a few days? Or did you every put the rubber tub in the coop? Could you biuld a small fence around that? The first 2-3 days doesn't have to be anything impressive as mom won't take then out much besides getting food and water

If she's no longer having an issue with the other hens she should be fine, but you need to have a pen or brooder ready to move her and the chicks as soon as they hatch just in case. If you want to move her before hatch its best to do so before lockdown though if she's in danger by other chickens any time is better then not at all. can you biuld like a small safe exstention off her coop for food and water for a few days? Or did you every put the rubber tub in the coop? Could you biuld a small fence around that? The first 2-3 days doesn't have to be anything impressive as mom won't take then out much besides getting food and water
thanks for your help sorry i did not get the date right its day 16 tomorrow is day 17 lol so that will give me time to build a little coop thanks for all your help i might just put something in the coop im not sure yet

I made a totally stupid mistake.

When I went into lockdown I put the eggs I added into a carton. In order to leave enough room for the hatching eggs, I put the thermometer on top of the carton. 2 days later I realized my mistake. The thermometer was touching the heating coil, so the actual temp down by the eggs was only 97.
:barnie
Hopefully it will just delay the hatch & I didn't kill them.

so today is day 17 and im am worried that the chicks will not be safe where they are i was going to build them a coop for just the hen and the chicks but the chicks will be in lock done :barnie

I’m guilty of the same, I did a quick lockdown place for my broody inside the coop under the poop board and moved her @night. Couple of days later, here’s what I found.
A0C2F840-F33C-4555-987D-54A293C82BEE.jpeg

3559382A-0B61-49B1-82A7-AA57211741EE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom