May Hatch-a-Long!

Pics
Have pearl keets, a few chicken going to hatch 1st & 2nd week of May and another batch 2 weeks later. I also have turkey eggs HOPING are fertile to hatch 2nd week of May which are WishBone the dad is a beautiful Black Spanish and the mother is grey slate.

Good Luck to everyone look forward to seeing everyone's hatch. :fl

So glad my incubator is a smaller one this can be addicting, keeps me inline:old

Locked down 7 white orpington, 8 lemon pyle brahma and 1 blue brahma last night. All look good
10 White campbell ducks will lock down next Tuesday. Again, all look well developed.

26 out of 40 eggs have made it to lockdown. A record for me on shipped eggs.
It's going to be an exciting and busy few days, I love it!
jumpy.gif
wee.gif
jumpy.gif

I set my eggs in the bator today! 17 bantam polish frizzles and 5 buff laced bantam polish from an egg auction. I added 5 polish/spitzhauben crosses and 13 production red/spitzhauben crosses from my barnyard mix flock for a total of 40! All the aircells looked intact in the shipped eggs. I let them rest for 24 hours before putting them in the incubator, and I'm gonna wait until tomorrow to start turning them. Really hoping to get at least a few frizzle girls out of this hatch!

I will be setting 19 Rouen duck eggs and 11 Muscovy duck eggs on Monday, May 5th! They'll hatch the beginning of June, but I figured I'd still join the May hatch :p

Out of the 15 eggs left, I think I will be tossing 3 more. Two I see nothing, but one is a darker egg. The third is a blob with no veining. I am waiting untill Friday to look again.

I have 104 Bobwhite Quail eggs in the incubator, they will go into lockdown Friday and should hatch the first of the week. First time I have ever done this. I am so addicted I bought another incubator HovaBator Genesis 1588 and am waiting on a dozen Cream Legbar eggs.

Out of the 15 eggs left, I think I will be tossing 3 more. Two I see nothing, but one is a darker egg. The third is a blob with no veining. I am waiting untill Friday to look again.
I just broke open a "clear" on day 12 (the first of probably 3 eggs that are not viable of the seven I set in a BMA.) I played brain surgeon preparing to drill a hole in someone's skull...got on laytex disposable gloves, got my little drimmel out and attached the drill bit attachment. I carefully and lightly drilled the cleanest little hole in the shell above the air sac, which I was careful not to pierce. Then I sniffed warily and was relieved to find no smell. This egg was 10 days old at setting
sad.png
and had not developed at all in twelve days. With a sharp knife, I carefully reduced the shell around the outer thick membrane, then removed more of that thick membrane, and finally moved the inner membrane half away from one side of the hole I had enlarged, and slid the egg's contents into a dish. There was not any veining (red or otherwise) but I believe it was originally a fertile egg by looking at it. The yoke ran but had no eye spot or signs of early death I could identify when it went into the dish. No bad smell at all on this egg. The above was really a practice should I ever have to assist a latecomer chick who can't (wouldn't) make it out on its own. I know there are folks on both sides of "to assist or not to assist," each with sound reasons for their position. If it comes to it, I think I will be in the"assist when patient waiting fails" camp.

Back
Top Bottom