May Hatch Thread--Fill up those bators n' broodies!

Lol I see yea I live about 5or10 miles from the Ohio river and I hope it ant off much the temp is reading pretty good with the glass one that in on the eggs but still hopping the humitity is accurate on the digital one

i agree with jn you will see a spike around day three this is normal just leave well enough alone and things will settle down i tend to run on the low side as i find it less detrimental to hatch rates to stay a lil cooler and dry it will extend hatch day but the air cell will be large enough to allow internal pipers to breath and at days 21-23 they will still be healthy and strong enough to zip

I am constantly checking the temp and humidity - I am concerned to make sure the temp doesn;t go too high.
At the moment The humidity is reading 38% and the Temp hovers between 37.3 and 37.8
The last months hatch it went up to 39 - which I think is about 102 - so I am a little concerned about the spike comming and worry incase it gets too hot for them.
I guess I am a bit worried about getting mush again. This is my fourth attempt at hatching.
Ist attempt. about 3 years ago got 2 live chicks and I dead half zipped and 6 shrink wrap fully formed.
Then we got blue legbar eggs and none hatched but I think we left them sitting too long before setting.
Then this year we ordered Dorkings and got random blue eggs and two were broke one fractured and the other 4 didn;t start developing.
So here goes for the fourth time - these at least look like Dorking eggs. But due to well the past record I am a bit freaked about getting it right! Also I think I will have to go away for 3 days between day 10 and day 13 ! Darn! It may mean they get turned on day 10 and again on day 13 but not on day 11 and 12 so I am worried about them over that time.

Oes

Last edited:
Let me start by saying that I have never hatched chicks, as will become apparent as this post progresses.

I have a Black Copper Maran hen who went broody this past week. Like an idiot I put eggs under here before I moved her. Now the rest of the hens are bothering her, trying to get her out of her box, etc. So hubby and I made her a place all to herself last night, and moved her and the eggs. Her new digs are in a pen beside my brooder, so there was faint light. This morning I found her off the eggs, and they were cold. She is still acting broody, but was closer to the food and water.

I am wondering if she left them to get food last night, and because she was in an unfamiliar place she didn't find her way back.

She sat on these eggs for 4 days before we moved her, so I am wondering if I should put more eggs under her or if that would be too much stress on her, having to start over.

The sad part of this is that I broke open the eggs that had been under her, and all three of them had a pretty web with an embro inside.

I apologize for my ignorance, but does anybody have any thoughts about more eggs?

Lol I see yea I live about 5or10 miles from the Ohio river and I hope it ant off much the temp is reading pretty good with the glass one that in on the eggs but still hopping the humitity is accurate on the digital one
i find these Springfields to be a lil more accurate than the accurites same price and they have them at ranch king there is a ranch king store in Hamilton

Last edited:
Let me start by saying that I have never hatched chicks, as will become apparent as this post progresses.

I have a Black Copper Maran hen who went broody this past week. Like an idiot I put eggs under here before I moved her. Now the rest of the hens are bothering her, trying to get her out of her box, etc. So hubby and I made her a place all to herself last night, and moved her and the eggs. Her new digs are in a pen beside my brooder, so there was faint light. This morning I found her off the eggs, and they were cold. She is still acting broody, but was closer to the food and water.

I am wondering if she left them to get food last night, and because she was in an unfamiliar place she didn't find her way back.

She sat on these eggs for 4 days before we moved her, so I am wondering if I should put more eggs under her or if that would be too much stress on her, having to start over.

The sad part of this is that I broke open the eggs that had been under her, and all three of them had a pretty web with an embro inside.

I apologize for my ignorance, but does anybody have any thoughts about more eggs?
well she propably did not take to the move well as once they find a place to set it is hard to get them to give it up they are strong willed when they go broody so she was just showing stressed behaviour to being moved she would have more than likely settled down and finished the job if given the chance, if she is still broody by all means give her another clutch to hatch in the new location

well she propably did not take to the move well as once they find a place to set it is hard to get them to give it up they are strong willed when they go broody so she was just showing stressed behaviour to being moved she would have more than likely settled down and finished the job if given the chance, if she is still broody by all means give her another clutch to hatch in the new location
Well, I asked the question after-the fact. My first reaction was to give her more eggs, figuring that more eggs would stress her less than no eggs, so I put them under her. Then I began questioning my decision, so I posted the question. I just went back to check on her, and she hasn't moved from her new location. So we shall see.

So the count begins again.....

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Last edited:
Well, I asked the question after-the fact.  My first reaction was to give her more eggs, figuring that more eggs would stress her less than no eggs, so I put them under her.  Then I began questioning my decision, so I posted the question.  I just went back to check on her, and she hasn't moved from her new location.  So we shall see.

So the count begins again.....

Thanks for sharing your expertise.
. Your so very welcome we all share our experience to help and teach there is always so much more to learn,, I call it chicken tv just by watching the birds normal behavior you can really get a grasp on how they interact and anticipate how they will react to changes in their environment they are allot like people when it comes to changes in their comfort zone after a few years you as a. Flock master will become more tuned to the needs and whims of your birds ,, most all have fun with it they are great watch as they seem to have their own lil chicken society lol

How long will a broody hen sit on her eggs after the first chick hatches?
Also, what are blood rings?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom