Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
14 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
I've noticed my RIR hen growling when the olive egger rooster comes near her. I've seen her put out her wings, fluff up her feathers and go at him like she's going to chase him. I just figured he was a turd (been trying to sneak attack me, and he won't be around much longer) and she didn't like him.

But yesterday, I noticed she was on the nest for a while, but didn't lay an egg. She fluffed her feathers up a bit, which she's never done before. I checked for eggs from the other hens under her and pulled out the fake egg in the process. She looked at the fake egg, started making some clucky noises, and put it back under her. But a little later, she was off the nest.

So she's not broody yet, but I'm wondering if she's thinking about it. Is the growling broody behaviour? Out of all my chickens, this one would be the worst mother. She's mean to all new chickens in the flock. Maybe she'll surprise me.

Last edited by a moderator:
She's ready to go broody, and actually she may be the most protective mother. You won't know until you give her a try.

Yeah, finally! Keep us posted. All it took here was one to go broody then everybody else decided they liked the private rooms and feeders and decided they would all go broody too. Good luck with that! What kind of eggs are you going to get?

Since I'm not sure how she'll do, I'll probably just set my own eggs. She's not on the nest all the time though, so it's not time yet.

She was on the nest a couple hours again this morning, but she did not lay an egg. Then she popped off the nest when I went to check for eggs.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom