maybe i shouldnt try and hatch

bobzant

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 6, 2011
Perry, IL
I put 11 eggs in the bator, and two hatched a few days apart. 3 internally pipped and then died, one made it 3 days and died, and the hatched one I had to help outta the shell, so I figure it will prolly die too. I'm getting discouraged. I've done everything by the book and its just not working.
hit.gif

I have never tried dry incubation and don't know if the temperature needs to be different for that, but I always run mine 100-102 degrees (still-air). Force-airs are supposed to be 99.5.

But anyway, don't be discouraged. Try again, I would be surprised if it happened a second time in a row. Hope this helps, MW

Don't be down on yourself.............. I hatch hundreds of chicks a year and have all sorts of things happen all the time, it's part of the experience of hatching.

Throw the "book" away!
Sorry....I may be wrong (I'm not) but there's no such thing as a dry incubator.
A "Dry" incubator is an oven!
You could actually make Beef Jerky by thinly slicing some steak, salting and seasoning it and keeping it in a similar environment at not a lot more than 99 deg f over 3 weeks!
It is critical for the survival of the chick to have humidity of around 60% for the first 2 weeks and then a bit higher for the next 4 days.
When you go into the hatching stage in the last 3 days humidity needs to be up around 80%.
The egg needs to lose only 14% of it's initial weight during incubation.
A "dry" incubator set at 99 deg would most certainly dry the egg out a hell of a lot more than that!

The fact that you have actually managed to get a chick out is a real credit to you!
I'll bet good money the little guy was thirsty!

Please keep trying but get rid of the "dry" incubator or put some chick proof shallow water containers in the one you have and buy a reliable hygrometer so you can control the humidity.
I'm curious to know what brand etc it is.
If you opt for a new incubator don't be put off by the Made In China sticker on a Janoel 48 egg auto turn. They're more than a lot better than a Hovabator (I've used both and now use 2 Janoel 48 eggers) and come factory pre set for chickens.
The instructions that come with the ones available to Aus are a bit dodgy but the reality is that you don't need them.
You unpack it, cut the cable tie on the turner motor, plug the turner motor in, put water in one of the channels in the bottom (you'll put water in the other one as well for the last week), plug it in, switch it on, warm it up and chuck some eggs in!
If you're in a position to be with your incubator all day then the 60 egg semi auto turn Janoel is even better value for money.

Stick with it!
Best regards.
Rob.

I have to agree, I think its probably a humidity problem. That said, dont give up. We all have these doubts at one point or another.
hugs.gif

Quote:
I have to respectfully disagree with two of your claims.................

The first is the dry incubation method although the OP may have made a slight miss calculation the dry incubation method is a highly preferred method, your claims are baseless and your claim of 80% humidity during the last 4 day's will likely kill by drowning many more chicks. 60% humidity in the first 2 weeks is ludicris. Dry incubation should be done with 30-35% relitive humidity the first 18 days, then it should be increased to no more than 50% and it will rise slightly as they begin to hatch. I don't use a styrobator to hatch in, I prefer the cabinet models and the dry method in these work great as can be attested to by only about 400,000,000,000 Gazillion people who incubate.

Next issue is your claim about the CHINESE product, with all due respect......is this a joke or a spoof........... really........ your recommending a chinese product as more reliable than an American product. Sorry but I think everybody knows Chinese made products are junk and that is an understatement.

My incubator is a little giant with an auto turner. I know some of you are hissing at the fact that I bought an lg but it was my only option at the time and now that I have a bank account I still can't afford some fancy smancy thing. I followed the instructions that came with it and a few pointers from people on here. I know I should try again but this batch has brought heartbreak with the first chick I hatched being so lively for a few days and then I wake up one morning and he's dead laying on his back. He had food, water, and a heat lamp. I don't think I did anything wrong making the brooder considering I have had chicks that I bought at farm and home supply and chicks I ordered from ideal in the same brooder and they were fine. Idk I'm just at a loss now.

Back
Top Bottom