Maybe sour crop? Help my hen is really sick

Morning update

Everytime I go to check on Agnes I'm nervous open her door. Afraid she will not be alive when I do.

Thank god she was alive and awake for me again this morning.

Few little poops, still runny and mostly white/yellow with some smaller bit of firmer greenish part to it.

Crop is smaller this morning quite a bit but still squishy and grainy feeling.

Offered about 1 table spoon of stage 1 turkey and turkey broth baby food. I added a few drops of olive oil to that. Took her a few minutes to try it but she ate it all up. Offered some water and she went right for it too.

She seems to be acting better and has more energy each time I check her now. Hope that is a good sign.

If the crop is small in the morning and full at night, it's working normally.

I think she sounds like she's egg bound or internal laying.

Im going to try some images

Agnes today
78965_agnes3.jpg

this morningings poop
78965_agnes_poop.jpg

The strange alien thing I have found twice (this one was the day she got sick)
78965_agnes1.jpg

This is the weird shell I found next to the alien thing the day she got sick
78965_agnes2.jpg

What do I need to be doing if she is eggbound or internally laying?

I felt around her abdomen and I don't feel an egg in there but that doesn't really mean anything since I really don't know what I'm doing.

Just offered her about 1 tablespoon of the turkey baby food again and she ate it up.

I did sit her in a warm bath for a bit at least to get the pasty poo off of her feathers. I hope she feels better. I'm going to let her rest for a bit and check on her after I spend some time with my other little hen Newt. Need to clean the coop today and turn the compost.

I wish I could help you, tmg108. She may have several issues going on at the same time. If her crop is not empty in the morning, the food is not moving through correctly. If she is pooping, some food is moving through but it may not be enough to support her. The color or her poop and the presence of the withered shell are a concern, of course. That could mean she is Vitamin D deficient and/of calcium deficient or egg peritonitis. Of course please know that I don't really know; I'm just trying to think with you about how to help.

I think I would try to get her crop emptied by flushing so that she can get some good nutrition. Then, I would continue to give her baby food for the calories and applesauce and scrambled eggs mashed into really small pieces. If she eats on her own, well and good. She would need 2-3 jars of baby food per day to support her with enough calories. Applesauce and yogurt do not supply the calories they need. You can get a pack of Vit A,D,E powder at the feed store for about $4. You put 1/4 tsp per gallon for chickens and give it for 7 days. Then, give it every other day for 7 days. I wouldn't give her layer crumbles because you don't want her to lay eggs. If you can restrict her light to 8 hours per day, that will help her to stop laying. With no eggs, you can concentrate on these other issues.

That's the best I can think of, tmg108. You're doing the best you can, so don't give up. She just may respond. Keep us posted if you will. Tell Agnes we're pulling for her.

By the way, if you need info on flushing, here's good site. Just scroll down to see the crop tube and syringe. Be sure to hold Agnes's head down all the time you're flushing so she doesn't aspirate any of the stuff coming out. That could kill her as it would go into her lungs. There is an opening into the lungs beneath the tongue so you don't want anything going into that. As you open her mouth, look for her tongue and put the crop tube on top to go down the large opening in the back of her mouth. If you put a little cooking oil on the tube, it will slide down easily. Before inserting it, hold it up to the outside of her body and make a mark on it with a sharpie or something waterproof. Put the mark on the tube at the spot near her beak when the tube would be into the crop. That way, when you feed it down her throat, you'll know when you're as far as you need.

http://www.broodyhen.co.uk/ket/fowlnotfoul/1staid.htm

If you have any other questions or thoughts, please post. We want to help if we can.

Back
Top Bottom