McMurray Hatchery Initial Review

I used to love McMurray, but I am now questioning their breeding stock. I purchased Buff Orpingtons from them last July. I have lost a few hens to FLHS and cancer within the last month. If you do happen to lose any hens make sure you get a necropsy done so you know why they died. In California you can go to UC Davis extensions and get it done for $25.

Well, thanks for the heads up. I noticed two cocks with wry tail yesterday. So I guess I will try to source a good rooster or two elsewhere. Even if not for show I hope they try to address the wry tail issue.

Well here is a strange update. Both cocks tails straightened out over time and I can no longer see or feel any bend in the tail. Maybe it was an injury or something. Anyway I will update of any sign if wry tail returns. As for now my apologies to McMurray they all seem fine and are beautiful.

4065C855-404A-4182-96B6-7B1B3C4A42C9.jpeg

I ordered 20 chicks from McMurray last year...seven of which were DOA, including all 5 of the Blue Andalusians I had ordered. I called them and they replaced them all without even blinking. Even threw in another surprise chicken which ended up being a GLW roo. I give McM two thumbs up! :thumbsup:thumbsup

The only downside....which isn't to me, really....is that the 5 Ameraucana hens I ordered are all laying GREEN eggs instead of blue. I even double-checked McM's website and they state their line are blue egg layers. Not sure how I ended up with green... It isn't a big deal to me, but I know some people might feel differently.
Ameraucanas are rare and sought after for their blue eggs.They can lay 3-4 eggs a week, have a puffy face, pea comb,earmuffs,beard and slate blue or black legs and feet. Also the bottom of their feet are white. Hatcheries sell olive eggers by a different name to confuse people.

Back
Top Bottom