McMurray Hatchery Initial Review

Dec 28, 2020
Hey friends,

I just picked up a box of vibrant seemingly healthy chicks from the post office after an extra day of delay from the post office. McMurray packed them with a large heat pack plus six males for warmth. The only DOA chick was our free surprise chick which was some kind of blueish polish. I have been waiting on these speckled sussex for a while. I am very excited. I will update as the chicks settle in. Great job so far Murray McMurray!

C31DE8D9-12C3-4B2E-B436-3656296DDC2F.jpeg

Hey friends,

I just picked up a box of vibrant seemingly healthy chicks from the post office after an extra day of delay from the post office. McMurray packed them with a large heat pack plus six males for warmth. The only DOA chick was our free surprise chick which was some kind of blueish polish. I have been waiting on these speckled sussex for a while. I am very excited. I will update as the chicks settle in. Great job so far Murray McMurray!

View attachment 2575933
Yay for chicks!! So glad they came healthy and active (minus the one).

FWIW, we got male SS from MMcM last year. Both had mild wry tail, so keep an eye out as it’s an inheritable trait if you are concerned about standards or breeding. However, their feathering/coloring seemed good, and they seemed to have a good attitude. SS are attractive birds!

Yay for chicks!! So glad they came healthy and active (minus the one).

FWIW, we got male SS from MMcM last year. Both had mild wry tail, so keep an eye out as it’s an inheritable trait if you are concerned about standards or breeding. However, their feathering/coloring seemed good, and they seemed to have a good attitude. SS are attractive birds!

Thank you. I will look for it.

We lost one chick that got smashed in a pile when the brooder room door got left open and it got a little cool. All other chicks still seem healthy and vigorous.

I ordered 20 chicks from McMurray last year...seven of which were DOA, including all 5 of the Blue Andalusians I had ordered. I called them and they replaced them all without even blinking. Even threw in another surprise chicken which ended up being a GLW roo. I give McM two thumbs up! :thumbsup:thumbsup

The only downside....which isn't to me, really....is that the 5 Ameraucana hens I ordered are all laying GREEN eggs instead of blue. I even double-checked McM's website and they state their line are blue egg layers. Not sure how I ended up with green... It isn't a big deal to me, but I know some people might feel differently.

I ordered 20 chicks from McMurray last year...seven of which were DOA, including all 5 of the Blue Andalusians I had ordered. I called them and they replaced them all without even blinking. Even threw in another surprise chicken which ended up being a GLW roo. I give McM two thumbs up! :thumbsup:thumbsup

The only downside....which isn't to me, really....is that the 5 Ameraucana hens I ordered are all laying GREEN eggs instead of blue. I even double-checked McM's website and they state their line are blue egg layers. Not sure how I ended up with green... It isn't a big deal to me, but I know some people might feel differently.

I have one hen whose eggs look blue outside but lght green in indoor lght. It would bother me to get green eggs when i was expecting blue 😁

Hey @Acre4Me at what age were you able to notice the wry tail in the cocks?
Just noticing this now, guess I didn’t see the notification.

it was apparent by 10 weeks, maybe earlier. In fact, I hadn’t actually noticed it at first. I posted pics on BYC in the breed forum and a poster noted the wry tail. Sure enough, as I paid more attention, it was there in both birds. But it wasnt extreme. However, wry tail is inheritable snd can spread through the genetics easily I’ve been told, so try not to introduce it.

Back
Top Bottom