McMurray Mystery Chick

ganesa_9

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 29, 2011
Gotta love that McMurray Mystery Chick that comes with every order. The last time I got a Black Silky. Beautiful bird. Now I've got another black bird, this time barred, and I'm thinking it could be a Barred Rock or a Cuckoo Maran, maybe. I'm hoping it's a Maran AND a hen, but you never know! Can anybody out there in the poultry universe help me identify this bird? Thank you.

PS: first time attaching a photo or link so don't be too disappointed if this doesn't work.

Last edited:
98082_mystery_chick.jpg

Last edited:
It's the dark skin on the legs that's throwing me off. Barred Rock should have yellow skin, that's why I'm still thinking Cuckoo Maran. When it was a chick it had a large white spot of chicken fluff smack dab on the top of its head...

Last edited:
im leaning towards roo based on comb colour and wattle growth, but it looks a bit too 'dark' to be a BR or CM roo.......;?

I say maran!
smile.png
my Maran/araucana mix has the same barring and body shape..... except she's rumpless
gig.gif
That just makes me laugh sorry.... anyway, I say maran... See my girl?

download-2.jpg

download3.jpg

download1-2.jpg

How old is your chick? I'm currently going through guessing whether mine is boy or girl too
smile.png

Mystery Chick is a little over 4 wks old. Oh I'll probably have to wait to figure out what he/she is. This Mystery Chick stuff drives me crazy! It'd be nice if you could contact McMurray and they would have some kinda record of what they sent, but no! Can't complain though, always get good chickens from McMurray, and they usually send more than you ask for... we got 28 in the last order which is good since the USPS held our order over in Columbus for two days, and the local post office was of the opinion the chicks might be too warm in the box and kept them well air-conditioned so they would be cool. Only lost two out of the 28.

That rumpless chicken's got me worried (LOL)!

Back
Top Bottom