mcmurry sick chicks please post here

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't EVER by straight run from them. They give you a bunch of roos. We order 5 golden laced cochins, all roos. 5 silver laced wyandottes, 4 were roos, at least we got 3 bufff brahma bantan hens and two roos.

5 golden laced cochins, all roos.
Probability: 3%. With enough people ordering, not that unlikely. I'm hoping to be on the other 3% side who get all pullets.
wink.png

5 silver laced wyandottes, 4 were roos
Probability: 16%. About one in seven who order five straight run birds will get this mix.

3 buff brahma bantan hens and two roos.
Probability: 31% So about 1/3 of people who order five straight runs will get this mix.

You're not the luckiest, but you're not the unluckiest either. You can't blame McMurray for poor outcomes on Bernoulli trials. Things start to get fishy if your luck stays bad for a long time, but with enough orders, it's still possible that somebody gets fortune's backhand.

Yes BC is in Canada and I did get my chicks Feb 11. I had mine delivered to Lynden, Washington, then I drove down and picked them up. McMurray said they don't deliver to Canada

Last edited:
I am freaked out now. I am a new chicken mommy and I got 26 babies yesterday from McMurray. All are doing really well today.

What I am freaking about is some of you have said that you have had mortality weeks later.

Is there something I can and should be doing now to maybe stave off disaster?

I ordered 10 Americaunas, 10 Rhode Island Reds, 5 Buff Orps, and 1 little girl we can's determine yet what she is.

We have been putting in McMurray's Quik Chick additive to their water.

Any help is appreciated....such a nervous mother am I.

Michele in MN
barnie.gif

They will be just fine! I think it was pretty well established that the ones who got sick were victims of very cold weather and shipping stress from that. It sounds like all of yours arrived just fine...thats great! Now you know you can't make a post like that without the required pictures. Its mandatory here
lol.png

How many times do I have to say it's not weather? I've already killed two due to this paralyzing disease or whatever it is.

stormhorse,
i am interested in your chicks symptoms, you said it was something to do with the incubator right>?

i think some do have something to do with the temp..and yours may be something all together different,,

Most people are complaining about the chicks getting sick days after shipping and having the exact same symtoms as mine. I know it is not contagious because they have come in contact with my sebrightx and other chicks that are perfectly healthy. They get stumbly, then just lay there, then get either really stiff or really floppy. Just like they were dead. Except they eat, drink, and cheep constantly. Their bodies just don't move. They stay in this state until I end it for them. But heres the weirdest thing...

I think it's breed specific. Here the order mine got sick

2 dark brahmas (didn't affect the other colors)
1 D anvers (she was the only one)
2 favorolles (the only ones)
2 speckled sussex (the only ones)

Isn't it weird?

I've only ordered from McMurray and have ordered for 3 or 4 years now- every April or every other April- to arrive at the beginning of the month. I've only ever had exotics die on me- and they were only Sultans or Sumatras and MM has graciously refunded me for any losses each time (and out of over 50 chicks ordered each time- only 3 or 4 died last time and only 1 or 2 died previously.) They are smaller babies and sometimes have taken longer to get here because of my post office not being open for me to pick them up .....
My chickens last a long time and are very healthy....I'd not change a thing as far as where I order from.
Just my 2 cents....
Lisa

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom