McMurry's Rainbow Layers: What did YOU get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bea Love, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Bea Love

Bea Love Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2008
    Got an order of the Rainbow layers...Curious to know what kind of breeds other folks got from similar orders.

[​IMG]

2. greysandy

greysandy Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2008
    Anaheim, CA
    I ordered the Ornamental Layers, which is slightly different but I got:

2 Buff Cochin (1 turned out to be a roo)
    2 White Cochin
    1 White crested black Polish (my favorite)
    1 Silver laced Polish (turned out to be a roo)
    1 black spanish
    3 Ancona (or maybe Cuckoo Marans)
    1 Fayoumis
    1 Phoenix
    6 fluffy deep reddish brown EE's
    6 small OEG looking EE's
    1 white mixed EE (turned out to be a roo)

Free rare chick is a Buff laced Polish rooster

I gave away about half of them when they were a few weeks old and am giving away the roosters tomorrow.

Have fun!

3. mbleily

mbleily Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    I didn't get mine from McMurry but from Meyers.
    I got 28.
    1 golden Buff
    1 Golden Campine
    2 Marans
    2 silver Laced Wyandottes
    1 Australorp
    1 White Leghorn?
    1 Splash Andalusian
    1 Delaware
    1 Black Stars
    2 Turkens
    1 Dominique
    7 EE's
    1 Brown Leghorn
    1 Welsummer
    1 EE Roo (ordered)
    1 Gold Laced Wyandotte Roo (not ordered)
    1 White Leghorn roo (not ordered)
    1 Brown leghorn roo (not ordered)
    1 Blue roo I got from SIL Rooster order.

These were in an order of 50 chicks ordered with my SIL.
    She wanted Buff orpingtons so she took all the buff chicks.
    She has several roos too from the mix. But that is not uncommon.
    She has some more Welsummers and Marans. Lucky draw on her part. LOL If she get a roo from the Marans I may try to get him from her. I would love more of them.

4. tomstephens

tomstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Charlotte NC
    I ordered from Meyers, got 10:

1 Buff Polish
    1 Golden Laced Polish
    1 Black white crest polish
    1 SLW
    1 GLW
    2 Golden Campine
    2 Buff Cochins
    and 1 I never figured out what breed probably a cochin, but she got nabbed by a fox and I guess I didn't have to worry about it anymore

5. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:Was that from the Rainbow layers group?

6. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

I received my order about a month ago. It takes me forever to figure out what I have but I enjoy the puzzle.

two died - one looked like a barred rock and the other was a strange color I'd never seen before so NO idea what she would have been.

First off, I have to say that this is the most varied order of Rainbow Layers I have ever received. I suspect a few EEs and that is fine. When I unpacked them, there was only one chick with greenish legs but now there are a few. I was also glad that I didn't get a large amount of Red/Black Stars or RIRs - I'm shocked at how broody my black starts are and it seems like anything red will eat eggs if I don't collect them ASAP. So, they are not at the top of my list of wants.

So far, I think I have identified ...

1 positive EE (there are possibly others but only one had green legs when they arrived)
    1 Buff cochin
    1 light brahma
    1 dark brahma (?)
    1 white wyandotte
    1 white crested black Polish
    3 white/black chickens - Not all the same breed. The first appears to be a Colombian Wyandotte. The other two, One was a dark chick and feathered out white with black; the other was a pretty snow white - no yellow cast at all to the fluff which is now white with black smudges. I'm hoping one is a Delaware.
    2 Buttercups (or a couple have mutant combs)

I'll check back in later as I figure this out.

One last comment, When only one arrived with greenish legs I made sure I ordered some EEs with my order from Ideal (which arrives either tomorrow or Friday). Of course, now others are having a EE look to them. That's ok, so we'll have more green eggs than normal to sell.

7. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought I'd add one comment. I've been ordering these things for years. Most of the time the sexing is spot on and if I do end up with a Roo, only one.

I did order 25 Dark Egg layers from Ideal and received two roos. (And that Marans roo has yellow legs - arggggh!)

I don't think it is common to get more than one (25) or two (50) (unless for some strange reason they decided to use 'packing peanuts'). If you receive more than that I'd let them know - maybe they'll tell their sexer to wash their glasses or send them back to sexing school.

8. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    My Rainbow Layers from Murry Mcmurray came last Tuesday.

I have.....(most of these are just their colorings!)
    2 White Chicks getting white wings
    2 Smokey Grey chicks getting Black & White Wings
    2 Partridge rocks getting some really beautiful wings!!
    6 Cream with lite Red Stripes on Back, with very light creamy buff wings
    1 Black with Creamy WHite Markings, getting solid black wings
    2 Smaller Black Chicks that are very lively!!~~getting solid black wings
    2 Smokey Grey getting greyish black/white wings (one is already named "Sweetie" by my dd as this chick loves to be held & seems to love people! She does not even want to hop out of your hand when you place her back in her brooder and will sleep in your hand as long as you will let her.~~What fun! At first, I though she was feeling badly, but she acts normally in the brooder box! She must be a "People Chicken!)
    And, I believe the rest are EE chicks...??

I am not sure I received a rare chick, but I do like all the ones I have though one of the chicks has some very unusual markings with brown black zigzag stripes down her whitish back and some cool black face dots on top of her head! We thought a Campine, but her wings look like some of the EE's I think.

I keep looking in the MM Catalog~~I agree, its fun to try to figure them all out.

Anyway, MM sent me 27 chicks, but one died as it had no eyes at all & was just rather sickly. [​IMG] The rest are just fine and have had no problems so far. [​IMG]

Will try to update with their true breed names later!!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2008
  9. mbleily

Feb 20, 2008
    Idaho
    Quote:I got three out of 26 because I ordered one. And I know my SIL got at least one and probably more roosters. One of her naked necks is a roo. She also had 20 roosters that she bought and now they are all mixed together so it is impossible to tell if she got more out of her 25. But that is 4 roosters out of 50 ordered. I am sure she had more in hers too but we wont know until she goes to butcher and sees how many roosters she has to take in.

I figured at 90% we could have gotten 5. It just may be that I got the luck of the draw when we separated them. [​IMG]

10. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I know this is an older thread, but I just got my McMurray rainbow layers this last Monday. I received 25 rainbows + 1 rare and exotic, and all 26 are now a week old and thriving.

I have:
    2 EE's
    5 RIR's
    5 silver-spangled hamburgs (one larger and feathering differently, might be a cockerel?)
    4 probable white leghorns
    1 single-comb brown leghorn
    1 gold-laced wyandotte (large and hardly feathering, maybe a cockerel?)
    1 white polish
    2 maybe buff orps
    1 small buff baby, maybe minorca
    4 blacks, I'm thinking a giant or australorp and 3 minorca or black stars

Last order of rainbow layers I got 2 roos, 1 EE and 1 black minorca. There were 3 white leghorns, a red leghorn, a rosecomb brown leghorn, 6 turkens (wish I had more turkens this time), a buff minorca, 2 silver-spangled hamburgs, an ancona, a barred rock, 2 white giants, 2 black giants or BAs, an EE and a silver-laced wyandotte.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by