meal worm question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sweetshoplady, Feb 22, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I was going to get some meal worms for my chicks as a treat. When I brought them up to the counter, the sales girl said that I needed to squish their heads before giving them to my reptile because they would bite and injure my reptile on the way down. I said it was for chickens, she said they would still bite and to squish the heads. I figured I would ask if this is necessary and if anyone else has heard of this.

Thanks.

2. homecatmom

homecatmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed them to my girls all the time! i never squish their little heads.... [​IMG] How do you know which end is the head anyway? [​IMG] You can tell I don't look too closely at them....THEY BE UGLY! [​IMG]

3. therealsilkiechick

therealsilkiechick ShowGirl Queen

Jul 18, 2007
    Northwestern, pa
    i have no idea, i have never heard that. we feed them to ours chicks and adults and feed them live they won't eat them dead and i agree haha which end is the head,lol.

4. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

That is absurd, do you think somebody squishes their heads for them out in the wilds. I feed LOTS of mealworms to all my chickens when it's cold and they will peck their heads usually before eating them anyway. You throw one of those buggers down in front of a chicken and see what happens. It's hilarious.

5. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    That is ridiculous.

I raise mealworms. My chickens have eaten 10s of thousands of them, especially Snickers(my avatar) and Dot. I have never squished any.

I even give them to 1 week old bantam chicks as treats and to tame them up. They take off running with the worm, before they know what it is.

Matt
    Morganton, NC

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    [​IMG] how funny - I couldn't IMAGINE having to squish heads - my girls go NUTS when the meal worms come out!

7. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    Thanks! I didn't want to squish heads either. Just wanted to give my chicks and hen a nice tasty treat.

8. JimnJanet

JimnJanet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2008
    S.W Pa.
    Quote:That girl has absolutley no business workin near ANY critters after a statement like that.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  9. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    lol, now that's a first!

10. noodles

noodles Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Madison, AL
    Quote:So how do you raise mealworms?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by