Mealworm farming

For future reference, should you quarantine worms when you get them for a couple weeks, before adding them into your farm? I added them right in, then noticed the die off. I knew it was them because most of my old worms were pupa or beetles when I added them.

Here is my farm, a 10 gallon aquarium. I cut toilet paper rolls in half and stick them in there as little domes, they like to go under them. In the evening the beetles come out and are very active. They seem to like apple pieces better than potato pieces, i've noticed.
I would recommend starting the different worms in a completely separate bin. Thanks for sharing the picture.

Here are some pictures of my mealworm setup, the one drawer has a metal net to drop the eggs from the Beatles to the middle drawer where they grow to be pupa.
[/URL]
Looks pretty similar to mine, thanks for sharing.

A few of you told me that my mealworms may only be partially completing the pupa stage due to a lack of humidity in the environment as a pupa. So, how should i keep my pupa?

Should they be in an enclosed container?
Should the container have a wet napkin for added humidity? Water crystals? Fruit/veggies?

Thanks for any and all replies :)

I'd loved to see pictures!

Mine are the medium sized. I've read that you shouldn't get the super worms (because of what they were fed to get 'super') if you are feeding them to your chickens.
From what i understand, the problem with Superworms is what they are fed (like you said) but they are actually a completely different type of insect. Apparently they refuse to pupate in a social environment, so you have to separate each individual superworm... it sound like a lot of work!
hmm.png

Yes I always bake mine & stir so it all gets hot. I saw on this web site about freezing. I'm always in a hurry so I just bake it. Tks

the large mealworm i believe they spray a hormone on them...as for the superwoms...they are totally different then the meal worm when they start to curl and pupate each one has to be separated into its own container...seems like to much work for me...as for the mealworm pupa i separate them from the bin once a week and place them into a separate bin that has no bedding or moisture source...for you need not feed or water them cause they dont move or eat or drink...once they turn into a beetle i put them into there own beetle bin..

edited to add...jumbo mealworm not the large

Last edited:
the large mealworm i believe they spray a hormone on them...as for the superwoms...they are totally different then the meal worm when they start to curl and pupate each one has to be separated into its own container...seems like to much work for me...as for the mealworm pupa i separate them from the bin once a week and place them into a separate bin that has no bedding or moisture source...for you need not feed or water them cause they dont move or eat or drink...once they turn into a beetle i put them into there own beetle bin..

edited to add...jumbo mealworm not the large
The pupae do need moisture or they may not emerge well.....
.......keeping a few carrot chunks in there can help with humidity and give the beetles something to eat other than the pupae when they emerge and before you move them.

huh...i will have to measure the humidity in the container...cause i dont supplement any water source for the pupa...they prolly have enough humidity in the air for them...then
here is a pupa container...and they turn to beetles

edited to add...carrots would be a good solution if you dont move them daily to prevent cannibalism

Last edited:
huh...i will have to measure the humidity in the container...cause i dont supplement any water source for the pupa...they prolly have enough humidity in the air for them...then
here is a pupa container...and they turn to beetles

edited to add...carrots would be a good solution if you dont move them daily to prevent cannibalism
I've been having some deformities, and i believe it is because my bin is too dry. I added some water crystals (gel stuff) hoping that'll raise the humidity. I check my bin too often for cannibalism to be an issue.

I got my 2,000 mealworms a week ago. Found my first pupa earlier. Just moved it and 12 more I found just a little bit ago into their own container. I bought the largest size so I wouldn't have to wait too long for beetles. I was starting to worry I had done something wrong because I wasn't finding any pupa (I'm impatient when it comes to seeing progress, so I may have been looking a few times per day, knowing it would be at least a week anyway).

But success so far!

I always feel like I'm going to squish the little guys, no matter how gently I grab them.

Back
Top Bottom