mealworms vs. redworms

zgrower

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
Are these the same just different names? I'm thinking they are different. I cant find any info about redworms multiplying. I know from another post that only adult mealworms (as beatles) breed but i'm not sure about redworms. Also, I found a local source for redworms. They want $15 per lb. Does that sound resonable?

Well, I know that mealworms are like caterpillars with legs and eyes. Around here, we use redworms synonymously with earth worms. They are those legless worms that tunnel in the dirt and are kind of slimey. They have a whitish band around their middle and two of them have to rub their bands together and they both make babies.

At least that's what I remember from when I was in the 6th grade and we had to disect some... so.... just sayin'.

Cassandra

Mealworms are actually the larvae of an insect. Redworms are an actual worm. Earthworms are larger, darker and live in burrows in the earth. Redworms are smaller than earthworms, red and live more in the leaf litter and humus.

Redworms are the ones people use for composting, also called vermicomposting. Raising them is called vermiculture. They are easy to raise and nutritious.

Quote:
Yep what she said. And if the $15 includes shipping or local pick up it sounds like a good price to me. If I recall correctly (which would take a minor miracle) i paid about $20 a pound plus shipping. 1 pound = about 2000 worms depending on size.

I have raised and am raising both mealworms and red worms. Red worms kept in a composting bin are marvels and one day you will look in and find little white threads moving - they are baby redworms. Once you pick one up you can see inside. It is very cool.

Did I mention that I am a science teacher, LOL.

Are these the same just different names? I'm thinking they are different. I cant find any info about redworms multiplying. I know from another post that only adult mealworms (as beetles) breed but I'm not sure about redworms. Also, I found a local source for redworms. They want $15 per lb. Does that sound reasonable?
Not Safe For Work No GIF

Back
Top Bottom