Mean Girl

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Melanie9565, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Melanie9565

Melanie9565 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    Our 4 hens have all been raised together. An Orpington, Cochin, Bard Rock and an Amercuana (we think she's a bit of a runt, she's smaller amd not yet laying). The Cochin started pecking at her A little at first. I noticed she has started packing at the other two chickens. And tonight, she would try to push the Americauna off the perch. I moved 2 chickens down and put the Americauna between the nice girls. The Cochin still tried to peck her and the Orpington. Is there a way to get this to stop? I don't want to have to get rid of her, I can't live in the chicken house and I don't want my other girls getting beat up! It's high school pecking order in there!

2. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    How old are they?? If they are youngish still, she could just be showing her dominance on the top of the pecking order. As long as there is no blood or really aggressive pecking it is normal.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    How big is your coop. It should be large enough so they can get away from each other, and use another roost if necessary. It's normal for them to squabble at roost time, as long as there is no blood being drawn I would stay out of it.

4. Melanie9565

Melanie9565 Just Hatched

Aug 21, 2016
    California
    It's big enough for the 4. The roost is almost 5 feet long and they still squish together. The coop itself is 5x5. The run is 5x10. We are going to add a Chunnel for them as well. I think she's just thinking she's the queen chick! I ha met seen blood yet, but I hear once they start it's hard to stop that behavior.

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Stop over thinking it...It really is just pecking order...They know what they are doing and you can worry all you want and they will still act and be Chickens...Do not interfere they will be fine and sound happy.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yep, happens every night.....you can't stop it and should not interfere, just let them be unless someone is copiously bleeding.

7. Peeps61

Peeps61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    NW Florida
    All of the above posters are correct. Normal, developmental pecking order behavior. As you observe them, you'll learn who is who in the natural order of things. I watch my RIR's chase the new chicks and teenagers in the flock around simply to let them know who is in the top of the pecking order. As long as they have enough room to "go elsewhere", you should be fine.

An example I can share from my horses - when we added a new horse to our small herd of three, making it four, the omega horse in the herd gave the newcomer the hardest time. The alpha horse in the herd completely disregarded him after giving him a sniff or two out of curiosity. His place as alpha was not threatened, so he just ignored the newcomer.

Animals are fascinating!

2 people like this.
  8. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    Hi Peeps my young hen is in nesting box and has been there for a while. She is sitting down with butt up is something wrong with her?

9. AustralorpsAU

AustralorpsAU Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2016
    Down Under
    How young is she? She could be practising for laying an egg or she was laying an egg!

10. sunflowerbee

sunflowerbee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2016
    Magnolia, Ky.
    She is 6 months old but she didn't lay a egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by