Mean Girl

Melanie9565

Songster
Aug 21, 2016
California
Our 4 hens have all been raised together. An Orpington, Cochin, Bard Rock and an Amercuana (we think she's a bit of a runt, she's smaller amd not yet laying). The Cochin started pecking at her A little at first. I noticed she has started packing at the other two chickens. And tonight, she would try to push the Americauna off the perch. I moved 2 chickens down and put the Americauna between the nice girls. The Cochin still tried to peck her and the Orpington. Is there a way to get this to stop? I don't want to have to get rid of her, I can't live in the chicken house and I don't want my other girls getting beat up! It's high school pecking order in there!

Our 4 hens have all been raised together. An Orpington, Cochin, Bard Rock and an Amercuana (we think she's a bit of a runt, she's smaller amd not yet laying). The Cochin started pecking at her A little at first. I noticed she has started packing at the other two chickens. And tonight, she would try to push the Americauna off the perch. I moved 2 chickens down and put the Americauna between the nice girls. The Cochin still tried to peck her and the Orpington. Is there a way to get this to stop? I don't want to have to get rid of her, I can't live in the chicken house and I don't want my other girls getting beat up! It's high school pecking order in there!

How old are they?? If they are youngish still, she could just be showing her dominance on the top of the pecking order. As long as there is no blood or really aggressive pecking it is normal.

How big is your coop. It should be large enough so they can get away from each other, and use another roost if necessary. It's normal for them to squabble at roost time, as long as there is no blood being drawn I would stay out of it.

It's big enough for the 4. The roost is almost 5 feet long and they still squish together. The coop itself is 5x5. The run is 5x10. We are going to add a Chunnel for them as well. I think she's just thinking she's the queen chick! I ha met seen blood yet, but I hear once they start it's hard to stop that behavior.

All of the above posters are correct. Normal, developmental pecking order behavior. As you observe them, you'll learn who is who in the natural order of things. I watch my RIR's chase the new chicks and teenagers in the flock around simply to let them know who is in the top of the pecking order. As long as they have enough room to "go elsewhere", you should be fine.

An example I can share from my horses - when we added a new horse to our small herd of three, making it four, the omega horse in the herd gave the newcomer the hardest time. The alpha horse in the herd completely disregarded him after giving him a sniff or two out of curiosity. His place as alpha was not threatened, so he just ignored the newcomer.

Animals are fascinating!

All of the above posters are correct.  Normal, developmental pecking order behavior.  As you observe them, you'll learn who is who in the natural order of things.  I watch my RIR's chase the new chicks and teenagers in the flock around simply to let them know who is in the top of the pecking order.  As long as they have enough room to "go elsewhere", you should be fine.

An example I can share from my horses - when we added a new horse to our small herd of three, making it four, the omega horse in the herd gave the newcomer the hardest time.  The alpha horse in the herd completely disregarded him after giving him a sniff or two out of curiosity.  His place as alpha was not threatened, so he just ignored the newcomer.

Animals are fascinating!
Hi Peeps my young hen is in nesting box and has been there for a while. She is sitting down with butt up is something wrong with her?

Back
Top Bottom