Mean hens pulling tail feathers and backs raw.

Just a note on Hawks - I have a family of red tail hawks in a tree just off my property. They love the baby robins and voles in my back field and are always around. After my chickens were dive bombed a couple times at 8 weeks the hawks are no longer a problem. My chickens stay in the bushes and low bushy trees. When they want to move along they peak their heads out looking for the hawks, and if they don’t see them the sprint through the grass to the next bush/tree. When the hawks do show up they lay under the low bushes and take a nap. It’s fascinating to watch - but turns out the survival instinct is strong. I assume one day they might be a snack - but in the summer there are just so many tasty treats the hawks are leaving my flock alone.
The chickens also hide from airplanes.....
That’s amazing

I love that they hide from airplanes 🤣. This morning went out to coope and thankfully I took the time to dig a predator fence all around the run. I have six inch deep holes of a predator trying to get inside to get a snack. As far as food for these picky hens that like feather what else do I add aside from laying pellets to boost up nutrition ? I’ve given them black oil sunflower seed And those dried worms but that was spendy and didn’t last long.

I keep the chicken feed in coupe and not the chicken run. I’m thinking instead of leaving feed out 24/7 I should just toss it in chicken run to keep them entertained ? I’ve got chicken tables , roosting , swing , old pans and a ball in the run 😂. They’d rather pick on each other

Photos of run? How many chickens and how big is the space? Leaving feed 24/7 is an option but I doubt it has anything to do with picking problems (I don't leave feed out overnight, and have no picking problems). What protein % is your feed? Anything else you feed them?

I keep the chicken feed in coupe and not the chicken run. I’m thinking instead of leaving feed out 24/7 I should just toss it in chicken run to keep them entertained ? I’ve got chicken tables , roosting , swing , old pans and a ball in the run 😂. They’d rather pick on each other
They don't need feed out 24/7. Just during the day. They won't eat or drink at night.
Throwing it on the ground isn't a good idea. It will immediately get contaminated with all the pathogens on the ground.
Some nutritionists even recommend against throwing scratch on the ground - unless is on terrain the chickens don't spend much time.

Okay well I pulled out my prettiest hen ... fingers crossed. Added oyster shells , corn , scratch , pellets and sunflower seeds. Fingers crossed some feathers come back and the pulling out feathers stop !
I don't see those things added to the diet as being helpful.
When there is a feather eater/plucker and the beginning of a cannibal, protein is what is needed.
Oyster shell is calcium carbonate.
Corn and scratch are under 10% crude protein and almost devoid of some essential amino acids.
Sunflower seeds have a fair amount of protein but are extremely high in fiber (20-23%). That is so high that any protein is used up in processing the fiber and fat.

Back
Top Bottom