Mean Roo, what to do??

snooptwomey

Songster
8 Years
Aug 26, 2011
Newark, DE
I recently got 6 quail. 1 male and 5 female. All between 2 and 3 months old. It seems like my male is extremely aggressive towards some of the females. He had attacked one to the point where it appeared the skin on her head was peeled back. she is alive and is healing up, but her one eye is still so caked over with dried blood she can only see out of one eye. I am wondering how long I should wait to try cleaning her eye off, her head is still pretty raw and I dont want to hurt her. She is in her own cage for the time being. Then the male attacked another in the same way, I just ended up getting to her sooner and she isnt as bad, but she is in her onw cage now as well healing up. So is he, he has his own cage now, and the 3 females left in the original house are doing fine together. I am not sure what to do here, I am def waiting for these 2 girls to heal completely before putting them back in with the others, but I dont know what to do with the male. I dont NEED fertile eggs right now, so I really dont have use for an aggressive male in my quail house. I feel bad for the injured 2, and am wondering if there is anything I can do for them. I make sure they have food and water, but not sure what else to do, I am worried about touching the head of the one that the eye is covered and hurting her, but on the other hand I dont want to wait and it cause her to not ever be able to see out of her left eye. I am brand new to quail, so I am in dire need of help here. I dont want to have any birds die that I could have saved
hu.gif

I would either cull or give him away. He probably wont get any better. Some quail are just plain mean. I have culled my overly aggressive ones in the past and just replaced them with more. It is trial and error until you get the right covey and then you can still have problems again down the road if someone gets their panties in a bunch. Even females can get nasty.

I would also stop by your feed store and pick up some medicine for their wounds. It will just depend on what they sell. I would ask them for some help before purchasing a product.

I would either cull or give him away. He probably wont get any better. Some quail are just plain mean. I have culled my overly aggressive ones in the past and just replaced them with more. It is trial and error until you get the right covey and then you can still have problems again down the road if someone gets their panties in a bunch. Even females can get nasty.

I agree, If your not looking to hatch eggs, eat the roo. Iff you are looking to hatch eggs. throw him in with the girls for short periods of time , he will get right to business and pull him out before he does any damage... Please do not go to the feed store and ask anyone you find there for advise. as a whole, this will be the least informed group to try to glean useful info from....

You will find Blu Kote is your friend with quail or critters for that matter. but you will also be amazed at how quick they heal all by them selves. Clean the wound for sure. If you use Blu Kote, Dab it on the wound carefully, with a rag just damp with the liquid. careful cuz it stains badly...It will burn eyes if it gets in them. Some folks are gonna recommend things like neosporin (sp)... This is greasy and every piece of dirt and crud she comes in contact with will stick to her wound. I feel its better to not treat at all than use something that holds crud and sets up for infection. Dressing of any kind is of even less use with birds... Good luck, Bill

I agree with Fat Daddy 100%, Keep them separated and just introduce him for a 30 minutes or so and remove him if you need fertile eggs, it wont hurt him to stay in a bachelor pad until you need him. If not then eat the lil sucker and go on with your life with less of a headache

Hi are they definitely females? I made a mistake with 7wk old Texan white. He wasn't foaming and so I mistook him for girl. Hence the attack.

Try reintroducing since they been separated the girls own the pen now he's the newcomer.

Also. The last damage in my pen was a hen not my cock I nearlly got rid of him. Lol

If he still nasty. Get a new one they are so cheap. I always get 2 cocks from same hatch. They grow together usually live together ok if enough space and hens to share.

Fat Daddy- Do other topical poultry creams not work well? I haven't had any problems with my quail-YET and so I haven't purchased any medicinal products but my friend had something that I thought was called red kote. Are they similar or am i mistaken?

I have not used or heard of red red kote. I have tried some stuff that was like tar that worked, but was a mess... had some spray stuff too but could'nt tell it did much good. I have used the Blu Kote on everything, cattle, hogs, dogs, my wifes cat, rabbits.... I just dont think the gooey anti bacterial ointments are best for critters that ya cant bandage to keep clean. You make'em good and sticky, then throw'em in a pen where they roll and sand bathe in their own crap.... But like I said, a coturnix is amazing the way they heal from what looks like a deadly wound for sure... Give it two weeks and you'll be hard pressed to pick out the one that had no scalp!

Good to know. I will have to pick some up (blue kote) when I am out and about next time. When I first scanned over your post I thought you said "I have used the Blu Kote on everything, cattle, hogs, dogs, my wife, cat, rabbits...."
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom