Meat bird breeds

I would love to hear what others have to say about this. I am raising Cornish X for the first time, and they are so gross, I just can't stand it!! They are dirty and stinky, and their bodies feel so disgusting when I move them to clean the brooder. I want a better DP, I currently have Ameraucanas, but they just aren't big enough. I logged on to day to start researching an alternative.

I don't find my Cornish X chickens to be either stinky or gross. Funny yes. Gross or stinky no. I raise my Cornish in a 12x12 box stall bedded with shavings. I do not range them outside because I do not have the facilities to do so. The stall has plenty of ventilation but is not drafty. I raise 25 at a time there but it could handle more. I add shavings as necessary so the bedding never gets wet. The stall is not cleaned out until all of the meaties are gone. Because the bedding is dry and there is adequate ventilation there is no odor to speak of. I think you are not making allowances for the fact that these birds eat a LOT more feed per day than regular chickens, and consequently they generate a lot more manure.

Sorry if this is a bit off topic. Beekissed, I've heard you say you should get a videotape of your birds walking around so people can see how true it is. It sounds like you really have something good going. You really should try to borrow one to show people. I for one would love to see them. Your methods sound great.

The only thing I have here to video with is my camera and I can't seem to get that video onto anything that will let me put it on the web(VERY techno unsavvy here!) I have a few pics of these birds on the move but it just doesn't do them justice.

I have been unable to contain them to a paddock with the electric netting, so they are ranging all over 2-3 acres now. I also have given up trying to herd all 50 very fast CX into the coop each night and so just wait until they do it themselves...which is often when I can barely see them out on the grass. They forage from daylight until almost full dark and they don't stay in one bunch...they are simply everywhere! Yesterday I moved the coop and they couldn't seem to find it...they ate nothing all day yesterday except what they found.

Later that night they were huddled on the ground, in the rain, where their coop used to be so I had to gather them up a few at a time and carry them to the new location. They were sopping wet, dirty and not a bit uncomfortable...quite warm. This morning they are clean, white and fluffy...must have spent some time grooming. They still have not eaten all the food in the feeder...barely half. When I carried them to the coop last night, each and every one of them had a full crop! Bulging, in fact.

Here are a few pics of the quick little eatin' machines:

Two weeks ago, at 3 wks of age.

Three wks. pic also.

Four weeks~no stinky, poopy butts here.

Both of these birds are 4 wks of age. If you'll notice, this CX does not have the typical splayed legs of the breed at this age~slower growth and exercise have a part in how your birds will develop.

I was trying to work the garden and plant something today and I had to keep shoving them out of the way...they simply would not leave me alone! I literally had to keep shoving them away with my hands while I was planting onions...the little nosy parkers! I find them delightfully funny and sweet except when they attempt to eat my legs when I do anything in the coop.

They are extremely clean, healthy and vigorous. The proteins they get out there hunting are so much more healthy and proper for their systems than anything I could ever provide, so I think~why not let them fill up with all that free food? My freezer doesn't have a timer nor a calender on it, so I can wait a little longer than most folks to put the birds in there.

Last edited:
Nice place! What a great life your birds have!

Can I ask, what has held me back from thinking meat birds, who "processes" them for you? Or do you do it yourself? How would one go about finding a local processor if they didn't want to do it themselves?

Thanks for the lovely video!

ETA- your hoop house is great too!

Last edited:
Nice place! What a great life your birds have!

Can I ask, what has held me back from thinking meat birds, who "processes" them for you? Or do you do it yourself? How would one go about finding a local processor if they didn't want to do it themselves?

Thanks for the lovely video!

That's something I couldn't tell you....I do them myself and they are extremely easy to do. I'd rather process CX than a DP bird any day! They have very little smell at all, which is one of the things I don't really like about processing wet, warm chickens...that smell. Ick. I remember the first time I smelled it when I was little and started helping Mom process and it hasn't gotten any better...but these CX are really too young to have developed any smells. And their feathers practically wipe off instead of having to be plucked...easy-peasy, lemon-squeezy!

Back
Top Bottom