Meat bird, Probably dying. Can I help her? Possible heart issue?

She passed on while I was out getting the mail and buns for work tomorrow, not unexpected, but I was quite hopeful for a turn around this morning when she was doing so much better. Thank you all for your help and support! Without access to a vet for our farm animals, everyone here has been invaluable in helping me learn how to treat our Chickens.

She passed on while I was out getting the mail and buns for work tomorrow, not unexpected, but I was quite hopeful for a turn around this morning when she was doing so much better. Thank you all for your help and support! Without access to a vet for our farm animals, everyone here has been invaluable in helping me learn how to treat our Chickens.
Sorry for your loss. :( Are you going to eat her anyway or are you afraid whatever killed her might make the meat unsafe?

Sorry for your loss. :( Are you going to eat her anyway or are you afraid whatever killed her might make the meat unsafe?

I'm sorry.
Are you going to open her up and see what was going on?

I didn’t open her up, and I won’t eat anything I didn’t kill intentionally and cleanly. She wasn’t bled properly, and rigor had set in by the time I got back to her. I know it seems like a waste, and I don’t think there was anything that would “spoil” the meat like a sickness, but an improperly bled carcass isn’t my idea of food.

Sorry for the loss......livestock/deadstock....but still :(

Yes @aart , I know... and agree completely. They are also Meat Birds, too boot. I don’t like any losses though, (7.5% so far with 3 deaths out of 40 chicks) and I didn’t get many pullets in the order, so every girl is that much more precious to me! I’m pretty sure she was a little squashed by the tractor once prior, I think I saw some leg bruising that was more apparent on death (I need to get wheels on this tractor, a new to me design, ASAP). I’m leaning towards stress and underlying heart issues with the purple comb, her panic and then second sudden decline. I don’t know if dehydration and stress could cause increased intestinal shed?

Thanks everyone for your support, help, knowledge, and suggestions. Not every story gets a happy ending, but I’m pretty sure most of her life was comfortable, and I had to try. You’re my “there are no proper vets here” support group, and all I can do is try to learn from every experience, to make things better in the future.

I’m leaning towards stress and underlying heart issues with the purple comb, her panic and then second sudden decline. I don’t know if dehydration and stress could cause increased intestinal shed?
Yep.
Not sure about the shedding, could be a coincidence(or not).

Back
Top Bottom