Meat birds BESIDES Cornish X??

1stepcloser

Poultry In Motion
10 Years
Sep 16, 2009
Dover, TN
I was reading that there are good meat birds out there that are not susceptible to frame problems, heart attacks, etc. but I can't remember what they are called.
roll.png
Can anyone help me out?

The last few weeks of my spare time has been devoted to finding the best meat breed that is not a CornishX. I have found Dark Cornish, and White Rocks. Both carry some of the characteristics of the crosses just not as severe. You will find that these breeds will be hardly comparable with growth rates some taking up to three times as long. In the long run you may be making a better choice and you are able to sustain a meat flock within your farm if that is important to you.

I have however think I have found my bird. Buff Orpingtons - though I have been told on this forum that it takes at least a year before an orp can be dress at about 4 lbs I have had others tell me and show me that it was done in 18 weeks with the excess Roos. The hens are quite nice layers, even in the cold. I however really was going to be purchasing production egg layers as well, I have decided on a DP. If they can show to be what they are supposed to be than I think I have found the right bird!

Freedom Rangers get my vote...hands down!
thumbsup.gif
I raised some last year and plan on getting more this year. They're totally awesome...they actually act like normal chickens. You only have to grow them 2 weeks longer than the Cornish.

Back
Top Bottom