Meat Breeds?

ChickChic00

Songster
Sep 10, 2019
Are Black Australorp, Buff Orpington, Barred Rock and Delaware chickens good to raise for meat? Thanks in advance!

Of those you listed, Delawares and Rocks are probably the fastest growing for meat production. They are both listed on Slow Foods Ark of Taste.
I've owned all 4 breeds but l don't remember butchering any of them.
Another thing to consider is which variety may be the easiest carcass to clean. With that in mind, I might choose white Plymouth rocks rather than barred.
Some DP breeds clean up better than others.
That may be the beauty of Cornish Rocks, their sparse white feathers clean up well. On the other hand, I've also raised a fair number of Freedom Rangers which were more buff colored and the only thing I didn't like about them was all the dark pin feathers. That said, I raise a DP black variety that is famous in Spain for the flavor of the meat. After all the birds I butchered from black leghorns, partridge and white rocks, etc., I wasn't looking forward to having to clean all these black birds. Much to my dismay, they were the easiest birds I've ever cleaned. I'm assuming they were selected for a century for that characteristic.
I might add that while they are rare, australorps also come in white.

Back
Top Bottom