Meat ducks and duck sausage

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by sandspoultry, Mar 20, 2009.

1. sandspoultry

sandspoultry Everybody loves a Turkey

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    The question has come up before about meat ducks and what can you do with them besides roast duck. We started skinning our Muscovies and cutting them up into boneless skinless breasts and saving the leg 1/4's and giblets for duck sausage. It saves alot of freezer space.

[​IMG]

The recipe is posted on the recipe thread. Anybody coming over this weekend for sausage on the grill? [​IMG]

Steve in NC

2. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    If you weren't so far away [​IMG]

So what would you compare it to taste wise?

3. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    it has a real mild flavor, that's why there isn't alot of spices used like for other sausage. It's easy to overpower any poultry type sausage. You can taste just a hint of sage and I added some red pepper.

Steve

4. jaku

jaku Chillin' With My Peeps

Great idea! I make jerky with my chickens- I take assorted parts, debone them, grind the meat, then mix some store bought jerky brine/seasoning (I use High Mountain.) I have a "jerky gun" I got from Cabela's, that looks like a caulk gun and shoots it into jerky shape onto wire racks, then bake at my oven's lowest setting for about 8 hours. It's GREAT!! Everyone loves it. I don't like dark meat, which poses a problem with the birds I raise, and this is the perfect solution.

5. sandspoultry

Feb 10, 2008
    Eastern NC
    According to "sausage history" that was the whole reason behind sausage, all the trimmings etc went to sausage.

Steve

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by