Meatie Chicks are here! *pics*

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
You guys getting sick of my posts yet?
smile.png

Here are my new "Red Broiler" chicks from Ideal. I ordered 14 and was sent 15 with one DOA. They're now in the brooder, walking about like normal chicks. They drank and ate. I find it interesting that a couple of the chicks have black striping.

meaties5.jpg

This next shot is just cute:

meaties3.jpg

meaties2.jpg

meaties4.jpg

Thanks, Katy!

I just nearly had a heart attack, though. With much confusion and discussion with the girls at my local feed store - I picked up a bag of broiler starter crumbles. I'm going to have to send an email to them to get an exact list and price of the poultry feed they stock. No one there knows what they're talking about. I ended up buying a 25lb bag of Nature's Best Organic. It's a 20% feed. I paid $19.99!!!
th.gif

My normal 50lb layer bag is $11!

After I paid and went out back to pick the bag up - I found out they sell quite a few other types of unmedicated starter at a lower price. I could have gone back in - but after that lengthy discussion, I didn't have any more patience. That's me: Thick headed and lacking patience.

that last pic is my favorite! What cute little nuggets..
Keep us updated on how it goes, I am still trying to decide if I want to try broilers or just keep using my culls and extra roos.

Can you keep me posted on your adventure? I just got finished with my CX's and I was looking into buying some red broilers next spring to try something different (don't get me wrong, I love CX's, doing another batch this fall) I'm curious to see if they dress out differently from CX's.

ps. the chicks are adorable!!!

Thanks,
Kristen

My pleasure to update.
wink.png
I'll try to weigh everyone regularly and keep a record of my feed. Depending on how large they get - I might hang on to a couple females to breed with my New Hampshire Red.

Back
Top Bottom