meaties in pvc tractor (pics)

Kim_NC

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
Mt Airy, NC
Our current batch of meaties in the new pvc tractor. They're right at home eating the grasses and clover in our small orchard.

meatchickens_tractor.jpg

DH is standing to the side (out of view). Just like true meaties, they all dash over to see what he has, even though the feeders are half full!

meatchickens_tractor2.jpg

We move the tractor EVERY morning, faithfully. Look at the path left in their wake. DH said it's not a tractor, it's a bush hog.

meatchickens_tractor_path.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I was thinking about building one just like yours but can you tell me the purpose of the square in the middle

Looks great! I love the path of destruction they leave.
I love my PVC tractor. I can move it myself whereas the fence board/wood monstrosity of a tractor we has to have two people and a tractor to move!
Laura

That is incredible!!!

I've been thinking of raising some meaties next year or the year after, but now I'm not so sure that I'll have enough natural graze LOL. How many do you have in there?

ETC(edited to corredt) a stupid spelling mistake.

Last edited:
Thank you All!

Har - Dh says the square in the middle seems to be mostly for structural support reasons. I suppose it could work as a staging area for feeders, water, etc.

Laura - yeah, they're easy to move. We like that too.

Gettinaclue - There are 85 in there.

Wow!! That's going to be one stocked freezer!!!

What are the dimentions?
How did you attach the wire to the PVC?

Sorry for the questions, but hubby and I really like the design, cost effectiveness, and that it easy to move.

ETC another stupid spelling mistake.

Last edited:
We made this same tractor. I left off the square thing in the middle. On the plans it was called a "feeder". Say what? It didn't appear to add anything to the soundness of the structure, so I left it off. Haven't had any problems with it not being there. I did put in an extra door on the side. Easier for small children to get in to move the roosts and stuff. So, we have two doors - one on top and one on the side.

The "girls" are in it now. But as soon as the tractor with nesting boxes is complete, they're moving out and the (currently week old) meaties are moving in. My husband came up with this really interesting design for the other coop. Removable nesting boxes for easy cleaning. I should take pictures.

Back
Top Bottom