Medical grade "super glue" for wound closure - any success stories?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I superglued a coro sussex's head back together after it was scalped by a game cockeral....looks good still
hu.gif

We use regular super glue on animals and people...actually more on the people the animals are smart enough not to do some of the stupid stuff my menfolk attempt.
roll.png

Hi all,
My B.O. just cut herself on a piece of fence when a roo tried to mount her. The cut is under her wing right thru the skin so you can see what is under it. Looked like it was over a joint. There wasn't much blood so we cleaned it, poured peroxide over it and let it dry all the while holding the sides together. Went looking for one of the many tubes of super glue we have and not a one of them was liquid. Ok then, sent my DD to the neighbors begging for S.G. Got it and expecting her to go nuts because it is supposed to burn, wrapped her in a towel. Had 1 DD holding her head and 1 DD holding the wound together and dropped some glue onto it. Not a peep or flap from Flappsy. I waited about 30 secs and let DD remove her hands. Another minute I applied another light layer and spread it about. It seems to be holding and she is not in the least bothered. That is until I put her saddle back on to protect the wound and bare spot on her back. Naughty roos.

Nice.

This is an old thread, and I have since used superglue on some of my birds. They are a lot less upset about its use than I have been when using it on myself. I actually recommend its usage whenever a wound needs to be quickly closed. No one keeps catgut around for stitching, and since catgut ages out pretty quickly, the next best alternative is using superglue to cinch wounds up. Regular/polyester thread for stitching wounds is the worst. It often embeds and heals into a wound so badly that you may as well have not stitched it closed in the first place.

I am glad to hear that this worked out for you.

Last edited:
bringing this back to the top.

I have a silkie that has an injury to its throat.

Will the superglue still work here?

I'm concerned about inhalation of the fumes one, and the
potential of interior gluing.

I'm sure she was picked on by one of her sisters during reintroduction to the flock
after a prolapsed vent ordeal.

It's like she has a tracheotomy when she speaks.

Thanks! Jim

A vetinarian started me to using antifungal spray, tinactin or simular, on wounds for my pets. I had used it on one of my cats that had surgery and it closed beautifully. I have a chicken now with a wound on her back where something tried to get her, and it is healing, but the other chickens peck at the wound when she comes out. I am concerned about them pecking the feathers off their back and getting to their tail feathers now. My husband said they used to cut the end of their beck to stop them from pecking each other, I don't know anyone every have this problem or heard of cutting the tip of the beak off?

Back
Top Bottom