Medicated vs Non-Medicated Feed

I remember many years ago one particularly frustrating time when I had a large group of brooder-raised chicks growing out that had been eating medicated starter from the beginning. They were in an 8x8 coop, can't recall the number, but I don't believe they were overcrowded for their size but a good number in there, maybe 25 of them. They were showing signs of cocci at 10 weeks old or so, I tried the Sulmet because at the time, I could not locate Corid.
After a week, same thing, still suffering. Did another round of Sulmet and eventually, they recovered, but I do believe that the Sulmet is much harder on their intestines than Corid, making the bleeding continue longer than it should have. Probably if I had the Corid back then, they would not have needed treating more than once, but it was really rough for a time. If Corid is not working and you know it's cocci, of course, try the other, but because it's not so hard on their intestines, seems to me it's better to try Corid first, then assess if something else may be needed.

I recently lost a yearling peacock, and with peafowl the first thing I think about is blackhead, so being the way I am, I necropsied him and found that his liver was perfect, which it wouldn't be if it was blackhead, but his cecal pouches were huge and full of blood, so my best guess was cecal coocidiosis. Next one got sick a day later, so I treated hard and fast for coccidiosis with a combo of drugs and she recovered.

I recently lost a yearling peacock, and with peafowl the first thing I think about is blackhead, so being the way I am, I necropsied him and found that his liver was perfect, which it wouldn't be if it was blackhead, but his cecal pouches were huge and full of blood, so my best guess was cecal coocidiosis. Next one got sick a day later, so I treated hard and fast for coccidiosis with a combo of drugs and she recovered.
Interesting when you find something inside that you don't expect. Been there for sure.

I remember opening up my a BR hen that I was positive was laying internally like the first few who had died from my original flock. She made it to almost 5 years old and was bloated and showing the same symptoms as the others. She was the first one I diagnosed with reproductive cancer, though there were a couple of very small cheesy masses floating around, it was not the primary illness. That was a complete surprise to me. Since then, there have been a few others. Always an adventure, huh, Kathy?

I remember opening up my a BR hen that I was positive was laying internally like the first few who had died from my original flock. She made it to almost 5 years old and was bloated and showing the same symptoms as the others. She was the first one I diagnosed with reproductive cancer, though there were a couple of very small cheesy masses floating around, it was not the primary illness. That was a complete surprise to me. Since then, there have been a few others. Always an adventure, huh, Kathy?
Sure is!

So I need some help here. Should I start my 4 chicks out on medicated or non medicated? I can take bag of medicated back since it is not opened--chicks will be here next week. Basically a newbie though years and years ago I acquired 50 chicks, many just for meat and didn't lose a chick until the coyotes got them after they were feathered out. No idea what I fed them then 1980"s.

We don't feed medicated anything unless we see signs of illness. We don't treat every cold with medicine in the people around here. I will not medicate unless it is needed. Even my kids will go for natural treatments versus the store-bought meds.

Back
Top Bottom