Medicated vs Non-Medicated Feed

Pics
So I need some help here. Should I start my 4 chicks out on medicated or non medicated? I can take bag of medicated back since it is not opened--chicks will be here next week. Basically a newbie though years and years ago I acquired 50 chicks, many just for meat and didn't lose a chick until the coyotes got them after they were feathered out. No idea what I fed them then 1980"s.
its really up to you, my store closest to me only sells medicated feed, so thats what i use though i have had a couple of cocci outbreaks anyway, so :confused: really doesnt matter as far as i am concerned, i feel that everyone that raises chicks or juvies should have corid or amprol on hand JIC

Good Luck!

So I need some help here. Should I start my 4 chicks out on medicated or non medicated? I can take bag of medicated back since it is not opened--chicks will be here next week. Basically a newbie though years and years ago I acquired 50 chicks, many just for meat and didn't lose a chick until the coyotes got them after they were feathered out. No idea what I fed them then 1980"s.

Were they vaccinated? If yes they were vaccinated no medicated feed. Found out yeas ago that the medicated feed should not be fed to the vaccinated chicks as they cancel each other out.
If they weren't vaccinated than the choice is yours.

With the discussion about more resistant strains of cocci, I find myself wondering how sensible it is to put chicks on Amprolium as a prophylactic treatment. It just does not seem like a sensible course of action to me.

With the discussion about more resistant strains of cocci, I find myself wondering how sensible it is to put chicks on Amprolium as a prophylactic treatment. It just does not seem like a sensible course of action to me.

We decided against the medicated cause do you medicate for infection in yourself or your children when they do not have the infection? We felt it was a cause of the resistance we would see to treatments in people. We don't do the vaccines. We just did our own research into them and decided that the vaccines did not fit in with our goals.
It really is IMO up to each of us to decide what works for us. Some people use medicated feed with no reaction. Some people vaccinate with no problems. What works for one person may not work for others.

Check/compare the ingredients and date codes on the bags and feed the fresher of the two that best meets the nutritional requirements of the type of fowl you are raising.

Back
Top Bottom