Medication for sour crop?

arkansaschicks

Songster
9 Years
May 28, 2010
329
7
134
little rock
I would say don't make them vomit!! I just had a friend of mine on this site tell me she lost her first chicken by thinking she had sour crop and made her vomit. She died in her arms. Speckled hen gave a 4 step plan a couple of post back. I would say follow her plan! Do you have a vet that you could have look at a poop sample or do a swab on her. I made a lot of calls to vet but I did end up finding 2. One is our zoo vet that works on birds and the other one works mostly on dogs and cats and a few chickens. Having a vet to ask questions and sometimes see is very helpful.
 

ruffles

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
195
1
99
Thank you, when, I pick her up no more smelly fluid coming from her beak.

I did purchase Sulmet, began treating her yesterday with sulmet, gave her a scrambled egg, she pecked at it, but, did not eat much or anything, I have her some oatmeal, going back out to check, I am presently drying out, we are getting the remnants of Isaac here in Massachusetts.

How about mealworms, will that entice her, if I put her out in the grass, she pecks at the ground.
 

ruffles

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
195
1
99
Oh, the monostat for vaginal infections along with ACV did help

I will dampen her food and see what happens
 

ruffles

Chirping
10 Years
Jun 26, 2009
195
1
99
Hi, she only walks around with supervision, for a few minutes at a time.

Tonite she ate some vanilla yogurt (what we had on hand) and mashed green grapes and a little grower mash, as we have 11 4 to 5 month old chicks.

She drank more water with ACV
 

Chicken mundoo

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 10, 2013
4
0
8
Really appreciate the good solid info on treating sour crop, I have a silkie with this problem and have been battling for a week trying to get rid of it. I will now follow your excellent advice and see how I go.
 

alisonc7148

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2015
12
0
22
Raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar will work wonders for a sour crop. Basically, a sour crop is because the good bacteria is out of whack in the crop. Many things can cause this, from antibiotics, having a yeast infection, fungal infection, something the chicken ate, or something internally wrong with the chicken. 

But more times than not, it comes from an imbalance of these good bacterias. Yeasts and fungus grow in these environments in the crop, in a sweet environment. Apple cider vinegar lowers this ph of the crop to an acid environment and does not allow these yeasts and fungus's to reproduce. 

Sour crop is difficult to treat and it does not disappear rather quickly. So you must keep up with it. What I suggest you do is put 3 tablespoons of this raw ACV to one gallon of water. Give it to all your chickens. It will do their systems good too. I offer ACV one a week for good health of my chickens. Change the water everyday and keep adding the ACV for 2 weeks.

If she is uncomfortable and is doing the "neck squiggle" you might want to vomit her to get all that toxic stuff out of her crop. Hold her like a football, and lean her forward, never backwards. With the other hand, massage her crop till the gunk comes out her beak. ONLY hold her like this for no more than 10 secs so she can breathe. Do it one more time to get the rest of it out. You won't get it all, but the worst of the toxic stuff will come out and she will feel better. Do this twice a day or more if she needs it.

Keep offering her yogurt, hard boiled eggs and soft foods. Wet her feed down. Don't offer any hard foods like raw veggies, seeds and such. You want everything to move as fast thru her system as it can, as a soured crop is extremely slow to begin with and you don't want to slow it further.

And, if she appears cold in the mornings, you might want to consider keeping her under a heat lamp at night. Cold birds do not move their crops or heal from illness. 

Do all this stuff for a few weeks. It takes a while to get her back on track. I had a girl with sour crop for 2 straight months. But she completely recovered and I use the ACV once a week to prevent any sweet crops in the flock.

Good luck with  your baby! 
 

alisonc7148

In the Brooder
Jul 3, 2015
12
0
22
My bluebell has been.suffering from sour crop for 10 days now. Initially she was v lethargic, and miserable. I kept her separate, nothing to eat for 24 hours, then yoghurt, ACV in her water, have vomited her a couple of tines a day, although she never brings it all up. She is much happier this evening, fussing fir food, scratching around looking for things to eat. If it wasn't for her massive crop that feels like a water balloon, I would think she was better. Introduced a small amount of antifungal med yesterday, but not sure if that will help. Do I just continue massage and vomiting, and when.can she eat properly again...she is v cross about being kept separate!
 

tdgill

Crowing
11 Years
Jan 28, 2009
3,028
53
266
Cecil Co. MD - 5Yrs. Chickens 4Yrs. Ducks
The vomiting in my opinion can be too dangerous...certainly not something that should be done repeatedly (in my opinion) I fear that they can become dehydrated and die from that... I've had great success with the generic 3day monistat suppositories. I Divide each of the three suppositories into 3, equaling nine pieces total. Give one piece morning, and noon and night for three days. I didn't withhold food or water and she was back to normal! Great stuff. I followed someone else's post on here regarding this treatment and am so glad I tried it
 

Faraday40

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Aug 1, 2013
10,496
16,703
711
Illinois
Trying to figure out what's wrong with my poor Cuddles. 8 days ago I noticed she wasn't fighting for treats- only pecking when offered. Very unusual for her to not be in my face begging for food. Cooling her didn't help, so I brought her inside. By morning crop was flat. She ate & drank very little. After 2-3 days, she really declined. She was miserable, quiet, not eating nor drinking, & lethargic. She only walked about slowly. (barely moved out of the way when the dog walked by & wouldn't come when called - just looked toward me.) Her poop was diarrhea & only 4xs per day. Not egg bound, but her last egg about a week ago was mis-shaped. saw something moving in poop 1x.

I tried yogurt, electrolytes, & Corid during those 1st few days. I got up my courage & tube fed some water. (I was told she's not getting the meds if she's not drinking.) On Wed, I bought some baby bird formula & started tube feeding 35cc 3xs per day. (Not enough for an orpington, but I'm nervous about causing harm,) She's perky, walking, & making noise when I say her name now. Her poop is even more solid now. Eating & drinking ....very, very little.

So far I treated her with Wazine (will follow up with safeguard on Sun to get the other types of worms). She had a few days of Corid - when not drinking - & 4 days via tube feeding.
When Cuddles was at her worst, she made "yawning" motions. I also heard breathing after activity. Although those 2 symptoms stopped, she continues to do rapid head shakes that cause her wattles to flap. (Like a wet dog). So here I am wondering about sour crop. In the beginning when I checked for egg bound, I put her on her side across my lap. She put her head down & a clear liquid came out. No odor. I figured she drank too much. Even now, I can feel her crop after feeding & it flattens out before the next time I feed her. I know things are moving through b/c she's pooping. She won't eat, but she will peck & eat random floor crud. UGH! I know if I could get her to eat, she'd feel so much better.

Any advice?
Can I give ACV & probiotics during the worming period?
 

New posts New threads Active threads

Top Bottom